Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Losing Communication

I run the beta and it does run better the version 3.6.44

Default Crunch Time!

OK should one give the beta a bit of a bash to get more robust communication? What precautions are needed before installing please. Currently running 3.6.36 for a year and never changed firmare from 202. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

You should update your firmware with each new version.

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    There is no secret handshake or special beta forum area for discussing the beta version of SB3. So feel free to talk about it all you want.

You are on the ShopBot Forum. The Tardis is translating for you. Do you know many fingers am I holding up?

-B
    So why when we join the ShopBot beta forum are we told not to discuss the beta software on the main forum then?

I don't mind either way but it seems there are mixed messages.

And yes there IS a ShopBot beta forum (I do know the difference between Shopbot and Vectric ) with people on it discussing the beta release.

YOUR FEEDBACK: To report, you can just send us an email at support with "Beta Testing" in the subject line. Or, we also have a "Beta Area" on the "Talk ShopBot Forum" for reports and discussion of your experiences with beta versions of the software. This section is moderated by the ShopBot Development Team when we are actively testing a new beta version. If you would like to participate in this forum section, just send an email to support and indicate that you would like to receive a logon to the 'Beta Area'. It would be helpful to us if you let us know the type of tool and type PC and operating system you are running. We will give you a call if we need more detail. Please realize that we really appreciate your feedback. We may not be able to immediately reply to all posts on the forum or to emails you send -- but we are very attentive to them and will try and keep everyone informed about what's going on with the beta.
    Last edited by adrianm; 12-16-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post
    So why when we join the ShopBot beta forum are we told not to discuss the beta software on the main forum then?

That was the same thing I said to Brady and the post that I deleted.

And yes there IS a ShopBot beta forum (I do know the difference between Shopbot and Vectric ) with people on it discussing the beta release.
    Interesting...Sorry...someone didn't send me that memo.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

garyc Guest

Brady...
    Check your inbox, you have both the memo and handshake

Adrian, et al....
    There is no "secret" to the Beta forum. It is visible only to those that have asked to participate. This is so that the occasional visitor to the forum, especially one that has a problem, is not confused by reading posts that are specific to the Beta that may not apply to the current release version.

The verbiage that I included in "the Beta Tester" letter (which Adrian posted an excerpt from) was similar to other Beta forums that I participate in and may (especially when posted in the context Adrian did) have been stronger than needed. Sorry if this has created any confusion.

Blimey, feel a bit kicked around in this thread. I'll avoid directing people to or quoting from the beta download page in future then. Not sure how that gets construed as secretive though.

This transatlantic language barrier is getting more confusing by the day.

Thanks Gary.

This transatlantic language barrier is getting more confusing by the day.
    I know m8...If we only spoke 'English'...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Smile Problem Solved

Hey everyone,

Finally got our problem solved. Here's a list (in order) of all the things we tried. With each change we tested on two separate computers.

-Replaced USB cable (installed old ferrite core)
    -Bought new USB hub
    -Checked Grounds with Electrician
    -Checked Grounds/Ground loops with Dana Swift
    -Removed excess PC processes per Black Viper
    -Replaced all wires on machine
    -Bought USB isolator
    -Rebuilt dust collection tubing with metal pipe (grounded at collector motor)
    -Bought new USB PCI Express board
    -Bought Battery Backup
    -Tried Beta version

After all this Shopbot Support finally ran out of ideas and agreed to send us the newer version of their Communication Card

-Installed newer version Comm Card

Also, while the card was in transit, Frank from support asked me if the brushes in our Machine 2 router were sparking a lot. He wondered if this signal was being picked up and amplified by our Machine 1 VFD. I didn't see excessive sparks (we cycle through routers pretty fast, so I know when the brushes are wearing out). Anyways, I moved our machines further apart. (Our new DC piping allowed this). So while they were previously ~3ft apart, now they are ~7ft.

-Moved Shopbots away from each other

Finally. No problems.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Maybe some of the steps were unnecessary and others should have been done first. The important thing is that it is working now.

Our USB isolator did not slow down the comm speeds. On our original Comm board, we were getting speeds around 76% before and after the isolator.

I bought two different USB 3.0 PCI cards. I don't recommend these on a Windows 8 machine unless the manufacturer states that it's compatible. (plus there's really no reason to go with 3.0 because shopbot doesn't utilize it)(but it's all the store had) While these did function (and the sales team told me they were plug and play), Windows installed some sort of default driver (because the mfg didn't have a Win8 driver), and the speed dropped to the 60's. I've since gone back to the stock hubs.

On the whole this has been a very frustrating experience. I wish these machines were more robust in the communication department. Glad to finally get back on schedule.