Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books/Reference material

Default Books/Reference material

One relative always gets me a book for Christmas. She just called an asked if there were any that I was interested in.

Since I just ordered the desktop and I don't have any prior experience with CNC machines, I would like to get a good reference book.

I plan to make wooden plaques and lithophanes initially. Are there any books that you guys highly recommend?

-Matt

I think the best material for what you want to do is available via the Photo V-Carve help file and web tutorial materials. It's pretty straightforward. I'm afraid there isn't much in terms of books, I would consider worth the cost to benefit ratio.

Since PVC isn't included with the PartWorks software suite, you'll want to ante up the $149 - it is well worth it if that is your primary goal.

Congrats on ordering a machine. Unlike a toaster or vehicle, it has a high potential to be a life changer. I'm excited for you!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Matthew,
    a couple things you could buy at the bookstore or amazon is the Dover Clip art that comes with a CD that you can take those patterns and use, or you could look at books like "Custom Wooden Boxes for the Scrollsaw" or "Custom Wooden Music Boxes for the Scrollsaw". It comes with full size patterns that you can copy on your scanner and turn into vectors and cut out on your bot.
    Google is your friend
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Good tip on PVC! Dianne beat you to it though. She made sure to ask what my intentions were and helped me to get everything I needed. Have I mentioned how great ShopBot service is?

As far as a potential life changer, I'm with you. My wife and I are extremely excited about the possibility of starting our own business. They wont let me stay in the Air Force forever, and I need to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Jack, the Dover clip art books look pretty cool. That is what I'll be getting for Christmas. I have no idea which one though...

I have "1500 Decorative Ornaments", "Decorative corners", "Old Fashioned Frames". Go down to your local Barnes and Noble and lok thru them there. They are around $15.00.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I have a large collection of Dover books... all purchased at 1/2 Price Books for $3.00-5.00 each.

Maybe I need to ask... is 1/2 Price Books a Texas phenomenon?

SG

My next book will be heavy on the designing for CNC machines rather than just a bunch of plans laying things out on how to put things together (it will have that too though). I wanted to have design processes from designers from both the laser and table router fields and hopefully a few from the 3d printer world too - being totally biased - you can find my books on Amazon or download them from CNCKing.com - just get the 3rd volume and if you like it, work your way down.

I've delayed my 4th volume book by a few months btw, I always try to one-up myself and this book will have a lot of stuff I wanted in previous editions but didn't have the contacts or knowledge to include but hoping to have it launched sometime in May 2013.

Decided to give crowdsourcing a try

http://blog.cncking.com/get-props-in...-cnc-machines/

We'll see how that goes, have been slowly building it up for the past year (since the last book was published). I'd also suggest you watch a few videos on my site showing me cutting away and assembling the models - all the ShopBot section have these videos of models cut on a ShopBot Desktop like the one you are getting... you can learn a lot by watching them which is their main purpose.

http://cncking.com/shopbot-table-router-projects.html

Jon
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)

Vector Art Mega 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Art-Meg...ector+art+mega)

Or

Signtorch would be good resources (http://www.signtorch.com/)
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    I have a large collection of Dover books... all purchased at 1/2 Price Books for $3.00-5.00 each.

Maybe I need to ask... is 1/2 Price Books a Texas phenomenon?

SG
    We have half price books stores here too- love em