Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie software surprises and questions

As far as the right angle guide, everyone may be overthinking it a bit. I just draw a 90 degree angle with the polyline tool - the software shows when they are at 90 degrees. Then the dogbone fillet and an Inside/Left profile on it.

Cutting too shallow - you said you mic'ed the material, but have you ever Mic'ed your ZZero plate? Mine was off from the default, 0.121", so had set the actual thickness in the SB3 software. You should not have to keep going deeper to get to where you told it initially. I regularly leave 0.002" skin on the bottom of my material for cutout passes, to avoid using tabs or cutting into my spoilboard. (When doing this, I ZZero to the table)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron Sloan

Hello Ross,

Thank you for sending in the file that you are having problems with into support.
    As Jack mentioned above, you would need to take into consideration the diameter of the tool bit when spacing the vectors.
    When machining the start of the lead-in with the diameter bit that you are using this will lead to the
    "Paddle" being slightly nicked, this can be clearly seen in both the 3D toolpath
    preview and the 2D preview when using the "Solid" option.
    To avoid this, you would need to either re-space the two vectors, use a shorter lead-in, or alternatively, you could set a different start point for the lead-in.
    If you were to insert an additional node point somewhere down the top left hand side of the oval shape, make the start node point and the lead-in will start at this point.

To do this, first enter node-editing mode (press N on the keyboard), place the mouse cursor over the oval vector at the place where you
    would like the lead-in to begin cutting the vector. Type P on the keyboard. A new node will be inserted in the vector at this point and will become the
    start point. Type N to exit node editing mode. Recalculate the toolpath, the lead in will now start a different location away from your
    “paddle” vector and the toolpaths associated with that vector.

I have sent some picture of this in response to your email to support.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark - thanks for the the details. I'm fairly certain that I had the correct tool selected - it was a 1/4" compression bit. If the bit had a larger diameter than what I specified, I would have expected the profile to come out slightly smaller than designed, but it was dead-on.

Assuming that the bit was specified correctly, should I assume that the software will calculate the lead-ins correctly? (avoiding nicking adjacent profiles) For my simple job, it's easy enough for me to manually check the lead-ins and adjust if necessary. On more complex layouts, I'd expect that would be a much more daunting task.

Ross

I had a similar problem with a lead-in clipping another part today... My problem turned out to be two separate toolpaths unaware of the others existence. Toolpath lead-in/out extensions are only aware of vectors selected at the same time. Any chance your situation is as simple as that?

SG

The two closed vectors each had their own independent profile toolpaths. Are you saying that what is considered "waste" when a lead-in is added only takes into account the selected vectors? (And all the other toolpaths in the file are ignored?)

I don't use lead-ins myself but that's how the other toolpath operations work.

You have to make sure there is enough clearance between vectors with their own toolpaths yourself. The software doesn't look at other toolpaths.

You can set the solid option on the 2D toolpath preview to see where toolpaths might run into each other.

The "Lead In" length is up to you...like Adrian said, I wouldn't use the Lead In option...joe

In defense of lead-in/out...

I like to use lead-in/out for my toolpaths... not using them can result in slight blemishes where the bit goes down or up. Even using the spiral down option does not prevent a straight up retraction with the bit against the finished part. You don't need to use long leads... in fact very short ones are just fine. In Ross's situation, he's using a compression bit and needs a lead-in long enough to get the bit to final depth before cutting on the part...

SG

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Now that I know I need to look for an errant lead-in, I'll just incorporate that step into the process. Steve's point about a shorter lead-in will easily solve the problem for me. I don't need it to be long at all. I think 0.25" would be plenty.