Thread: Need Help with Choosing Primer

Default Need Help with Choosing Primer

I need some help choosing an appropriate primer for sealing the edges of plywood. I make children's playhouses that use plywood panels for the roof.

Roof Panels.jpg

I'm selling these as kits and will not be painting them. The problem is that some of my customers have not properly sealed the edges and they are experiencing some delamination issues. As a preventitive measure, I would like to roll 1 coat of primer around the edges at my shop before I send them out. The customer will still do a final topcoat but I'm looking for help in finding the appropriate primer for sealing edges?

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul,
    Sounds like you're using a veneer core, exterior grade plywood.
    I imagine there is a significant amount of voids on those edges.
    In that case, rather than roll, it may be optimal to spread an exterior grade spackle or latex caulk, as you need a filler and sealer in one.
    I realize this is likely prohibitively time consuming as it relates to production costs. I would visit a paint store and see what they recommend- don't be shy on spending 40-$50 per gallon. A high cost material will pay for itself in labor savings.
    Final thought: have you considered a latex roll-on roof coating? Super-high solids - just verify that it will accept a variety of topcoats.

Good luck!

Jeff

2-part epoxy is best. Test your latex for adhesion to the epoxy. A coat of Zinnser BIN can be used over the epoxy, then latex on top of that if need be.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Jeff,
    The plywood is AC exterior grade Radiatta Pine. It actually doesn't have many voids in the core, so I'll skip on the idea of spackling. But I really like your idea on the roll-on roof coating. I also agree, that it would be worth it to spend $40-$50 on a good primer if I can find it. I've used the cheap Kilz stuff in the past but the end grain soaks it up really quick and I end up doing 2-3 coats which is cost prohibitive.

Brady,
    Which type of 2 part epoxy are you referring to? Is it a kind that can be rolled on quickly or does it need to be trowled in by hand?

Thanks,
    Paul

Any 2-part epoxy suitable for fiberglass mesh lamination. West System, MAS, US Composites resin etc. NOT polyester resin.

All resins of this type are like syrup, and that should be the state when you paint it onto the edges. If you need it thicker (you want to trowel it on), then you can add all kinds of things to it to thicken it up. Any marine store will have everything you need. Mix well & work fast.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady!