Thread: another simple thing for Joseph

Default another simple thing for Joseph

I havent been doing anything terribly exciting on the Bot lately other than standard parts, etc and December was too busy to take pics anyhow...

Today (I am of work all week) I went to the shop to putter away on some of my own things, and made these. Two covers for the two coffee tables we have in the house. Joseph plays on them constantly, mainly with his Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars (and they are starting to get banged up).

A few minutes in Aspire, and a few more on the Shopbot and I turned out these neat tracks. 1/2" Baltic birch, 1/4" deep road way. Just sprayed with black lacquer and put through the widebelt, and put some edging on to keep them from sliding off the table. A quick coat of clear danish oil and were off to the races!!

I love these easy projects... Joe thinks its awesome!

Andrew, you are a fantastic father. The only problem is if my grandsons see some of the wonderful things you do for your son, they are going to get very jealous and I'm not going to have any time to get paying jobs done, while I do projects for them..

Great idea and execution. I love it!!
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Andrew I just have one question...Will you adopt me??
    Joe looks like he needs a playmate, and those toys look like fun!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I think you have a wonderful start all that is lacking is a couple of TRAINS of course! Joe certainly is having fun with his new goodies, very nice! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    I think you have a wonderful start all that is lacking is a couple of TRAINS of course! Joe certainly is having fun with his new goodies, very nice! Russ
    Russ I did make Joe a train a few months ago. I took some scrap 2" birch I had, and cut out a half dozen "cars" that were pocketed to allow one of his cars to fit into the block. I used plain wheels, and a combo of 1/4" rare earth magnets and shelf support pins to allow the cars to hitch up magnetically.

WHen I was a kid I made my own track and battery powered motorized train. I made the track from 12 guage copper wire and soldered it to brad nails placed on a board. When we are older I would love to do these kinds of things with Joseph - my father was always too busy to really help me when I was a kid allthough he did when he could. But I was always hanging around the shop doing my own things.

My dad built my first train layout when I was 6, I was allowed to actually play with it when I was 10! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

here is the train. the cars have a 1/4" magnet glued into one end, and a steel shelf support pin in the other so they stick together quite strongly.

AJC