Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: look what was hiding inside....

Yes...Dan you win the "sexy leg" contest, hands down...but then again you have a "leg up" on the competition!
    Man that is painful just to look at!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Dan,

I haven't seen a bruise like that since I dropped a few hundred pounds of steel on me. I broke a blood vessel in my chest which then leaked and colored my upper body all purple... soooooo..... so ahead. Give us the details. How did you manage to do THAT?

And then, Jack Jarvis- I want to get back to your table leg.... I want you to tell me how you go about figuring out an indexer. Where is there literature? I want to spring for one, and I want to know I won't be 6 months of frustration figuring it out!!!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Monty

That was a few years ago when I was still young (68) then...Hill climbing on my dirt bike, had to get the front tire over a log but the back spun out, when I come off I had to reach to far with my leg and tore the muscles loose in my butt, my whole leg did go purple after a bit, had to get the muscles re- attached, My wife was there so I didn't get any gaff from that end...but the doctors wern't nice with there comments.

Here are the 2 relevant facts i gleaned from the first sentence that should have set off the "clue crew" that this was a bad idea....
    That was a few years ago when I was still young (68) then...Hill climbing on my dirt bike,
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

And then, Jack Jarvis- I want to get back to your table leg.... I want you to tell me how you go about figuring out an indexer. Where is there literature? I want to spring for one, and I want to know I won't be 6 months of frustration figuring it out!!!

MGM,
    When i bought my indexer (when i bought my shopbot) there was scant info, tutorials or anything relevant for the indexer at that time.

For example, lets say you want to make a 5" round leg that is 24" long. In extremely simplistic terms just imagine a 2.5" thick piece of flexible material that you could wrap around a pin that was 24" long.

You could lay that material flat on the table and carve a flat design on it, then take it and wrap it around this pin.
    That is essentially what you are doing with an indexer only the Y moves that are usually done by the carriage when doing flat work are transferred to the indexer motor to turn the stock to create the design in a round design.

Here is an excellent overview and tutorial info put together by Randall Newcomb that I and others contributed to:
    http://www.humblesticks.com/cnc-rotary-tutorial.html

I wrote (with a lot of help) the app i use to make my spirals and other indexer turnings because back then there was little available to be able to do what i wanted to do. Now there are apps built into programs to do lots of things.

As far as frustration factor...it is way simpler now, if you just understand basic principles (which the tutorial spells out rather well) then you should be turning wood in a day or two, if that long!

Whether you make one yourself cheaper or buy one from shopbot you will be amazed at the avenue of creativity it opens up for you. The indexer was my prime reason for buying a CNC.
    So if and when you get an indexer i'd be happy to help you get started so you can start making spirals and round carvings and whatever, just let me know. You won't be disappointed. Here are a few samples of things you can do....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

All done...for a beefy coffee table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Those are good looking legs Jack, nice stuff...