Thread: Possible to Mount These on a Buddy?

Default Possible to Mount These on a Buddy?

I'm guessing the answer is no but wondering if it is possible to mount either of these ATC's on a Buddy in some fashion that is practical?
    Blurry Avenger ATC (spindle)
    http://store.blurrycustoms.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=46
    Midwest ATC (Porter Cable router)
    http://www.midwestrapidtool.com/index.htm

Gerald- I think with a little ingenuity the answer is yes. The problem is where to locate the tool holders for the tools that are off-line.

My suggestion is to rig up a holder that moves with the table. So when the spindle goes to one end of the gantry, the tools can be moved into position by the table.

The other thing to consider is the spring that supports the Z assembly. A stronger spring, or perhaps a pneumatic support like shopbot uses on its ATC may be needed.

If you have an alpha buddy it should be a great asset in such a conversion.

Can you see how to restore the system if it doesn't work out? And can you get your money back on the spindle units if it turns out you cant make it work? If so .. give it a try and keep us informed!

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

One other thought.. you will have to program the tool change logic and adapt it to your post processors. I suspect you wont get any help on that.

If programming is second nature, that is no big deal. This project will not be a plug-and-play deal. It will be a technology development project.

"The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Really appreciate the excellent insight and possibilities Dana. Being retired so mostly a machine junkie tinkerer, I was looking at ordering a new 48" standard Buddy with a 12" Z but Shopbot tells me that they will only sell me a 12" on an alpha. I can't imagine the extra bit of metal can add that much weight to the Z car that it would cause missed steps so maybe it's a marketing thing. Plopping down an extra $5,500 after taxes is not really justifiable on my pension.

My goal was to build a light weight torsion box with vac. hold down. That would gobble up several inches so the extra Z height is important.

I'll certainly post something if I decide to go ahead with the tool changer project although the heads up on it not being a mostly mechanical plug-and-play project must be considered as I know zero about programming, let alone writing even the most basic code.

Maybe I'll need to watch for a used 48x12" recent alpha.

Thanks again Dana

if you are adding to the table you won't nee the 12 inch z just the extruded sides to get 12 inches under the z

Interesting comment Jerry. I may be interpreting this wrong so let me feed this back.

I would add another set of the aluminum side extrusions on top of the existing ones and, in effect, raise the gantry by their height. With some connector plates to join the extrusions, that sounds easy enough. I'm guessing that the extrusions on the Buddy are 6" deep so that would add another 6" giving me an effective 11" of Z "potential."

Say my torsion box table with built in vacuum hold down has a depth of 3" then I would be left with a net gain of 3" above the PowerStick. What I'm wondering is if that would prevent the standard 5" Z from descending down far enough for my router/tooling to reach the torsion box table top?

If you only add 3 inches to your table your could get 3 inch extruded parts that would give you the height you need and still be able to use the full z

The Standards come with 3.6:1 motors on them & just don't have the torque to overcome the strength of the 12" spring when it goes all the way down. Not a 'marketing thing'...it's a torque thing.

A BT48 with the standard 6" Z and an additional 6" table side (effectively giving you a 12" table), will not travel all the way down to the top of the bed. You'll need a longer Z to get all the way down, or you'll have to build up what you've got to be able to use the table. When I put the Indexer on my BT48, I had to raise up the sides with 2pcs of extrusion...and the Z would not go down low enough to reach the bed. I think it was about 1.5" or so, but it's been a while.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    The Standards come with 3.6:1 motors on them & just don't have the torque to overcome the strength of the 12" spring when it goes all the way down. Not a 'marketing thing'...it's a torque thing.

A BT48 with the standard 6" Z and an additional 6" table side (effectively giving you a 12" table), will not travel all the way down to the top of the bed. You'll need a longer Z to get all the way down, or you'll have to build up what you've got to be able to use the table. When I put the Indexer on my BT48, I had to raise up the sides with 2pcs of extrusion...and the Z would not go down low enough to reach the bed. I think it was about 1.5" or so, but it's been a while.

-B
    Thanks much for the clear and helpful info Brady. Funny how a bit of good info (the torque thing) offered pleasantly or at least respectfully could have helped cement a good sale on the spot whereas the opposite response resulted in the opposite outcome - as well as an incorrect conclusion.