Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a Reception Desk

"I'm just jealous of all the space he has" Jack I'll make ya' a deal, I'll trade ya' some space if ya' trade me some of your skills! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Ok Russ that's a deal. The problem is, my skill, much like my good looks...I was born with so that's hard to pass on....

You on the other hand will need to package up that space in an awful big box for shipping
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Glue and staples. The bending ply comes straight from our distributor. In this case he had to have it brought in as this is a "green" job so everything is FSC/NAUF and although they stock certain products that way, not everything we need for this project. The veneer on this one will be wood on wood sheets and we use a Wilsonart veneer adhesive for that which is both low emitting and won't "bubble" from the finish outgassing.
    We do our own finishing at this time. I've handled it both ways and they both have their plusses and minuses.
    This jobsite has a huge freight elevator. Several years back we did a restaurant on top of a 55 story building and had to transfer elevators twice to get up there. The main bar had to be built in 6' sections.

Dave: Thanks; The veneer is called Mozambique and/or Daniella. I chose it both for it's looks and I have a niece who's name is......., yep. For you guys who don't know it already Herzog Veneer in North Carolina has some great custom grade stuff they will sell in smaller flitch quantity and you see it on line as well. The shop that did that glass had a laser cutter. I say "had" as they since have gone under and the folks that run the plant now only will do shower door type stuff and won't deal in custom at all. We do still have several large glass plants in the area though so just about anything can be had. Biggest issue I have is properly done bent glass. Don't need it very often but when we do getting it done to spec is a royal pain.

Just remember Jack: Big space equals big bills! On the other hand at my quickly advancing age if you would like mine, just make me an offer. I'll throw in the equipment, clients, employees, and for a bonus you can have the headaches and sleepless nights. My wife and I are aching to get back to Russ's neck of the woods.

Your offer sounds appealing however, unless you are capable of performing the "Vulcan Mind Meld" so you can also convey your wisdom, expertise and experience then all I would be getting is a bunch of tools and bills
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

No mind meld-One could however pay me to stick around a few months to teach how to screw up all the stuff the same way I do.

I think i could figure that part out all on my own!
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Well, enough digression: Back to the thread topic.
    Here is all the base components set up. We'll be cutting full size mock-ups of the counters next (As soon as the glue dries on the latest spoil-board replacement) to verify fit before disassembly, veneering, finishing, and cutting the actual countertops. Once it's taken apart we start on the next one which is less involved. In the interim all the exterior veneer is laid up 8 X 4 and sequence matched. Inside under the counter matching is much less critical unless you're a mouse! The doors and drawer faces are also balanced and since this is a AWI premium project all grain will run vertical. I've also included a screen shot of the vectors used to create the various cutting files of the template, desk plates, counters, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bleeth; 01-08-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Dave, thats awesome.

I just noticed I forgot to upload the shots with the countertop. Cutting time for all sheets was about 30 minutes and maybe 15 minutes to lift those lines from my artwork and toolpath them.
    We then got held up due to supplier sending wrong veneer. New shipment on the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave, Beautiful job, but a question: On that curved cantilevered countertop section, I see what looks to be temp supports. Is there an additional support/plywood layer/ or edge detail to firm it up? Always looking for workspace in the house and shop like that for the wheelchair. Fastened to cantilever how? Thanks.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine