Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: multi-seat live edge bench

I CAUGHT YOU CHEATING!!!!! One of your legs in the back was not the same size so you stuck a slab of wood under it! Does the customer get that or is it listed as an optional accessory?

Nice work......(as usual!)
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I CAUGHT YOU CHEATING!!!!! One of your legs in the back was not the same size so you stuck a slab of wood under it! Does the customer get that or is it listed as an optional accessory?

Nice work......(as usual!)
    Actually Jack, I still have to trim the legs... but my shop floor is so out of whack... I am surprised I managed to get 4 of 5 sitting without shimming! I had to move it around quite a bit.

The guys who poured the slab (it was done back in around 1980, my building was originally put up to store old aircrfat parts for Beaver's, Twin Otters, etc old bush planes flown by a local charter) didnt take a lot of care to level it out. All my machinery is sitting on shims.

I was going to put a 6th under the front center but I dint think it will be needed.

Well, I have a few photo updates. Yesterday, I filled the cracks/voids. On various other similar projects I have done a few different things... keys, wedges/glue and this method - filling the cracks and voids with an epoxy/dust mix. I use West systems resin and the fast hardener (6 hour set time). I first brush in a thin coat of resin and let it soak in, then mix the resin with some sawdust and use a putty kife to get it to fully fill the crack. When dry, sand and its all smooth and very strong. I didnt think a key was going to look right in the area of the crack, and I wanted the crack to be structurally 100% sound. Epoxy will do just that!

I sanded the whole bench with 100, and 120 with the ROS then hand sanded with 120, 150 and a sanding sponge. I brushed a coat of Deft Danish oil (Natural). I will be finishing the bench in a satin catalyzed lacquer.

Final pics when it is finished. I think the cherry has some awesome grain, some figure/waviness and the colour pops with the application of the oil.

Also, I trimmed the bottom of the legs to both sit flat, and set the seat height at 18" in the front, and 17 1/4" in the rear. I like a slight back angle, for comfort.

Since we don't have a like button... I made my own.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is something about the beauty of natural wood that just appeals to me, that is real nice Andrew...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    There is something about the beauty of natural wood that just appeals to me, that is real nice Andrew...
    Yes Jack, thats why I am a woodworker. I absolutely LOVE working with wood and creating things. And, I get paid for it

I was looking at the remaining piece of the cherry slab... I think I might have just enough for a table to go with the bench!