Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopbot Canada and CSA

Default Shopbot Canada and CSA

I recently had an inspector pop by my shop to take a look at my recent addition of a spray booth. All well... till he spotted the control box and VFD for my new to me Alpha.

His only question. "Where are the CSA stickers on it?"
    My answer. "No idea"
    His reply. "That is a problem"

Has anyone run into a similar situation?
    Are all the sub components simply CSA approved, but not the machine as a whole?

It sounds to me like just another government bureacrat flexing their authority. The only thing that ultimately change is if you get some type of sticker on there.
    Will that sticker somehow make it more magically safe? No...
    Be looking for some type of shutdown notice in the mail soon.

Government regulations at it's finest....keep us informed of the hoops you have to jump thru.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

CSA get a sticker from a iron most electrical panel are not CSA approved

Techinal all electrical would need a sticker spindle etc

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    It sounds to me like just another government bureacrat flexing their authority. The only thing that ultimately change is if you get some type of sticker on there.
    Will that sticker somehow make it more magically safe? No...
    Be looking for some type of shutdown notice in the mail soon.

Government regulations at it's finest....keep us informed of the hoops you have to jump thru.
    From reading, I don't think it's going to be a huge problem. phew!

As far as I can see, a few hundred bucks to have a specialized inspector to come out and slap a sticker on it. Small price to keep things running.

Luckily, I only have the controller at the moment. Rest of the machine is making its way to me, so no worry of a "raid".

By chance, if anyone does have some CSA information feel free to add. I'll be back in my shop tomorrow to look for any stickers I can on the components.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8MFG View Post
    From reading, I don't think it's going to be a huge problem. phew!

As far as I can see, a few hundred bucks to have a specialized inspector to come out and slap a sticker on it. Small price to keep things running.

Luckily, I only have the controller at the moment. Rest of the machine is making its way to me, so no worry of a "raid".

By chance, if anyone does have some CSA information feel free to add. I'll be back in my shop tomorrow to look for any stickers I can on the components.
    Screw that...save your $200.

I had an inspector one time come in and try to get me to get everything in the shop inspected...old drills, hand tools everything. I never did. I got my own CSA designation and never got Ontario Hydro back into my shop.Shopbot controllers will be UL or CSA approved I am sure. Just contact SB and they will no doubt set you up with the proper sticker. You cannot jut take one off an iron because they have numbers and doing that would be illegal.

When he comes back don't let him into the shop, show him the controller at your counter.

Its a joke about the iron

But not all all tools are CSA approved they are reaching .There no real way to even check on 15 year old tool if its CSA approved .There no serial number with sticker issued it can be a very grey area .

It come down to the electrican if hooks it up and is approved by Ontario inspector you have approved inspection CSA doesn't come in to play .I went through this when I open up my shop with the electrical inspector I don't think I had one CSA sticker approved machine

Talk to the electrican who hooked up your machine

Just curios do you have an air make up unit with your spray booth ?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post

It come down to the electrican if hooks it up and is approved by Ontario inspector you have approved inspection CSA doesn't come in to play .I went through this when I open up my shop with the electrical inspector I don't think I had one CSA sticker approved machine

Talk to the electrican who hooked up your machine
    Hmmm, looks like my electrician and I have some brainstorming to do.

Just curios do you have an air make up unit with your spray booth ?
    Nope, no heat recovery.

Haven't noticed any drop in temperature in the shop even during long sessions. Normally the booth isn't running for more than 20min/day.

http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibra...SprayBooth.pdf

Here is what it takes to get a spray both approved in some citys it can be a real nightmare

But he or she approved the booth with out an air make up {is for a negative pressure in the building which can cause other problem wheter its 20 min a day 14 hr a day] .Sometimes it can be cofusing on what there after

I think you have a small problem they approved the booth that can be real problem

I work at an antique shop in Montreal after 10 years in the same locaton they came hard on him with proper exhuast and replacement air make up
    cost 10,000 to comply

I work at an antique shop in Montreal after 10 years in the same locaton they came hard on him with proper exhuast and replacement air make up
    cost 10,000 to comply
    Ouch, that couldn't have been fun to upgrade.

Hm, negative building pressure never really crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8MFG View Post
    Ouch, that couldn't have been fun to upgrade.

Hm, negative building pressure never really crossed my mind.
    20 minutes a day just open a window a crack...