Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopbot Canada and CSA

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8MFG View Post
    Ouch, that couldn't have been fun to upgrade.

Hm, negative building pressure never really crossed my mind.
    My air make-up unit is my garage door. Its on the opposite side of the shop as my spray room. I open the door 6 inches when I spray. The air comes in cold but I am drawing the air from the shop (3200 sq feet) and the furnace is running, so the temps stay pretty warm even when I am spraying for 45 minutes at a time and is -20 C.

I am lucky, I have dealt with some pretty reasonable Electrical/WSIB/insurance inspectors. Most realize in a one or two man shop, you have to have some common sense and you cant go spending thousands upon thousands extra for what? The only thing I was made to do with my booth was put in an air solenoid, so airflow to my pressure pots wouldnt turn on unless the spray booth fan was running.

That being said, in order to have proper air flow you MUST have air coming into the shop.. or you just have still air cavitating in the booth and fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibra...SprayBooth.pdf

Here is what it takes to get a spray both approved in some citys it can be a real nightmare

But he or she approved the booth with out an air make up {is for a negative pressure in the building which can cause other problem wheter its 20 min a day 14 hr a day] .Sometimes it can be cofusing on what there after

I think you have a small problem they approved the booth that can be real problem

I work at an antique shop in Montreal after 10 years in the same locaton they came hard on him with proper exhuast and replacement air make up
    cost 10,000 to comply
    Proper exhaust is another thing... you need to have the exhaust up high enough as not to disturb your neighbors. Even though Im out in the country, with my closest neighbour about 1000 feet down the road, I have my exhaust about 25 feet high facing to the back of my property (the woods) where the prevailing winds carry any smell or solvents away from their property, and disperse it.

We had a shop in a built up area previously, and we had to extend our exhaust 10 or 15 feet.

AJC

furnace is running
    AJ is your furnace oil if it is it can suck the exhast

My air make unit is three 7 inch hole in the ceiling .I call it my poor mans air make up unit .It work great I ajusted the flow its pretty balanced IT NEVERE GET BELOW -3 CELIUS HERE.If your not carefully you can put a strain on your motor for the fan. Its like a straw sucking plug the hole or make the straw opening to big it doesn;t work properly

Thats why if your moving its important to do the research on a spay boths can be the most expensive investment in a cabinet shop/Did we mention spriklers

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    furnace is running
    AJ is your furnace oil if it is it can suck the exhast

My air make unit is three 7 inch hole in the ceiling .I call it my poor mans air make up unit .It work great I ajusted the flow its pretty balanced IT NEVERE GET BELOW -3 CELIUS HERE.If your not carefully you can put a strain on your motor for the fan. Its like a straw sucking plug the hole or make the straw opening to big it doesn;t work properly

Thats why if your moving its important to do the research on a spay boths can be the most expensive investment in a cabinet shop/Did we mention spriklers
    Heat is a high efficiency furnace. Intake and exhaust is outside, ie, it doesnt draw air from inside the shop. I can't starve the furnace for air, nor can I draw in the exhaust.

I also have a man-door in the spray room that opens out to the back of my property... I can always open that

AJC

PS it was -38 C yesterday at 7:30 am when I got to work!

It was +41 C (105F) yesterday here......got to 39C in the shop......that is when I stopped and jumped into the pool
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    H
    PS it was -38 C yesterday at 7:30 am when I got to work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    It was +41 C (105F) yesterday here......got to 39C in the shop......that is when I stopped and jumped into the pool
    Wow a 79 degree Celsius or 141.2 degree Fahrenheit difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rb99 View Post
    Wow a 79 degree Celsius or 141.2 degree Fahrenheit difference.
    At least I can turn up the heat... I don't have AC in the shop so I'm glad it's not 41 here!!

Far too little use of funny photos on this board.

Hm, learn something new every day.

I'll be cracking my front door any time I spray from now on. It really hadn't occurred to me considering the size of my workspace.

As for my original question, I've examined my control box CSA/CE/UL stamps on damn near everything... so I guess that is a start.

In the interest of keeping my operation on the up and up I'll be calling in an inspector for an in field evaluation. I'll post my experience, may come in handy for other Canadian's using a bot in a commercial environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8MFG View Post
    Far too little use of funny photos on this board.

Hm, learn something new every day.

I'll be cracking my front door any time I spray from now on. It really hadn't occurred to me considering the size of my workspace.

As for my original question, I've examined my control box CSA/CE/UL stamps on damn near everything... so I guess that is a start.

In the interest of keeping my operation on the up and up I'll be calling in an inspector for an in field evaluation. I'll post my experience, may come in handy for other Canadian's using a bot in a commercial environment.
    I think you are crazy to call them into go over your shop and charge you a fee for every tool and electrical device that the sticker had come off. They are a business too, and our call will be more work for them at your expense.

For me the choice comes down to having any of "those" machines on plugs rather than hard wired until I'd have them checked and stickered. The power cord assemblies still need to be made of approved components themselves and not laying about where someone can trip on them. This way, in the event of a fire for example, it would seem to be pretty difficult for an insurance adjuster or fire marshall to blame it on electrical failure of the machine(s) in question. That's personal opinion though and not a recommendation

It would also seem that a US built machine like the SB should stand a pretty good chance of passing muster with little or no changes needed.
    Last edited by gerryv; 01-05-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Add info