Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shopbot Canada and CSA

Quote Originally Posted by rb99 View Post
    I think you are crazy to call them into go over your shop and charge you a fee for every tool and electrical device that the sticker had come off. They are a business too, and our call will be more work for them at your expense.
    All my other equipment is stamped.. besides the bot. All electrical work has been done professionally and inspected.

What would be crazy would be to run the equipment illegally and have my business fined and production impacted, not even considering any other associated losses, and a potential insurance problem.

It's a simple equation, is the cost of having the unit inspected less than having the unit taken out of service and the associated fines and losses? Inspection comes in a few hundred times cheaper at minimum.

Excellent point. It's got my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8MFG View Post
    All my other equipment is stamped.. besides the bot. All electrical work has been done professionally and inspected.

What would be crazy would be to run the equipment illegally and have my business fined and production impacted, not even considering any other associated losses, and a potential insurance problem.

It's a simple equation, is the cost of having the unit inspected less than having the unit taken out of service and the associated fines and losses? Inspection comes in a few hundred times cheaper at minimum.
    I ran a large shop for 15 years... I would absolutely NEVER call them in like a boy scout. If I need someone to visit my shop, it will not be people who want to find things for me to do that cost money. Once they know you are a cooperative mark, they will be back time and time again... and they will always find ways for you to spend money to justify their existence.

After a few years of them consistently coming back and finding new things that cost time and money I realized the game. then we started leaving things out that were obvious and would cost nothing to fix so when they would come in they could find something for their boss, but it would not disrupt production or cash flow.

It is like calling in the IRS and asking them to audit you in case you are not declaring all your taxes properly, and of course you would like to be charged for anything that they can dig up. We all try to pay our taxes and do things properly (maybe), but nobody calls them in to be audited...
    Last edited by rb99; 01-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8MFG View Post
    I recently had an inspector pop by my shop to take a look at my recent addition of a spray booth. All well... till he spotted the control box and VFD for my new to me Alpha.

His only question. "Where are the CSA stickers on it?"
    My answer. "No idea"
    His reply. "That is a problem"

Has anyone run into a similar situation?
    Are all the sub components simply CSA approved, but not the machine as a whole?
    I was meaning to ask you where you are located? And who was doing the inspection - electrical inspector or someone from workplace health and safety?