Thread: Collet/bit/shank advice

Default Collet/bit/shank advice

I am new to CNC routing and about to order a Dektop to be shipped to Australia. It will have the 1hp spindle and whatever collet comes standard.

My question is about collets and shank diameter - I'm new to collets as well. What shank diameter does the standard collet support? What are my options with the Shopbot Desktop for using different collets and shank diameters? Is there anything special I need to look out for if buying a collet for this spindle?

Welcome to the Forum Graeme......you won't be disappointed joining the Shopbot clan

I don't have the desktop and I'm sure the desktop owners will chime in.....but guess it will be similar to the other PRS systems. I got a 1/4" & 1/2" collet with the Buddy and I also ordered a 1/8" as well but I mostly use the 1/4" one. The collets are similar to what you have on a hand held router only much higher quality for the spindle.

I recommend you also get the starter kit.....I did and it was a well worth investment when starting out.

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Thanks, Michael. There is definitely a starter bit set with the machine - not sure about the collet(s) it comes with. I'll see when it arrives. So I guess I should be able to use different size collets with the Desktop spindle. That's good news - opens up the range of bits I can use.

As I recall from the demo's SB did on the desktop at the camps at my shop I believe the collett for the spindle version is an ER-20 and I think you get a 1/8" and 1/4" to start. If bits in your neck of the woods are typically metric you can get metric collets as well.
    There is another desktop owner in Australia. Jon (click on link: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/member.php?u=6306 ) moved that way a bit ago and uses his for part of his business.

Thanks, Dave. That clears things up for me some more.