Thread: tool path orientation

Default tool path orientation

Hi all,
    I am new here and kind of new to CNC. I am trying to use some NC files that a shop in town has been using to make some parts for me. I open the nc files in the editor then save them to SB format but when I open it in control software the tooling path is off to the bottom left. i cant seem to get it to move to the table top. when I try to run the file the machine whats to move off the cutting area. what should I do to get it in the right area?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the files are "G code" files, you just run them directly from the SB3 program, no need for partworks. However.. note that the GCode may not turn on/off the router at the correct points in the file.

If the files are "dxf" then you can import them and re-toolpath them any way you need to. For my purposes DXF is the preferred format if I get a file from someone else.

What kind of file did you get from your supplier?

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Part of the problem is the presets in the original file that is given to you.

If the originator of the file sets the X,Y Zero to the center of the material and the Z to the surface of the material and places it at 12 in the X and 12 in the Y on his table then those are all preset coordinates written into the cut file that he is handing to you.

So you cannot set the Z to your table top or your X,Y zero to the lower left of the material or your table. Because it will assume those are your presets for the program it was made in. And you will get the results you are getting.

What you need to do is either use the presets that the program that the file was made in was set to (find out what they are by going back to the originator of the file...)

OR go back and have them REtoolpath your file with the presets that work for YOUR table, Like Zzero for top of material, X,Y Zero in the lower left of the table and your material...or whatever works for you.

Bottom line is you cannot set your table settings contrary to what is called for in the cut file. I hope this diagram illustrates it a bit better. If not maybe someone can look at your file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

thanks guy,
    getting them retooled is not an easy option right now.
    I did do a little work around by zeroing at the top left corner so the part ends up about the middle of my table. its not the best thing but it works for now.