Thread: Second Z will not turn ON

Default Second Z will not turn ON

I am having a problem turning ON my router ( second z ) using VCarve Pro. Instead the router, the spindle turns ON but the program is proceeding as suppose to with the router. I have shopbot PRT Alpha with a spindle and a router on the second Z.
    I selected shopbot_head2_arch_inch as a post processor.
    Interesting I have this problem just with Vcarv Pro......with Part Wizart everything is working good. I just realized that the command to turn on router 2 (shopbot_head2_arch_inch post processor) for Vcarve Pro is different than Part Wizart( SO,1,1 for Vcarvepro and SO,2,1 for partwizart ) I tried to change to SO,2,0 in Vcarvpro -shopbot_head2_arch_inch post processor but gave me an error. Thank you in anticipation.

Does anybody know how to do a master program with router and a spindle together?
    Thanks,
    Nicu Iacobescu

garyc Guest

Nicu...
    You are correct. The postP needs to read as "SO,2,1" for head2 router ON and "SO,2,0" for head2 router OFF. You should be able to make this change yourself. If you wish some help you can look on the Vectric website in the post processors section. Here is a link to the instructions: http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6213

You can also implement the ShopBot "MTC" system that will allow you to post toolpaths for both heads into a single file by using unique tool numbers. You may require one of the newer posts. These are ShopBot TC (inch) and ShopBot TC (mm).

ShopBot Tech support can get you going in the right direction.

The most up to date Post Processor editing guide is on the Help menu in VCarve.

Thank you guys.
    Gary, how can I implement the ShopBot "MTC" system that will allow me to post toolpaths for both heads into a single file? Thanks.

garyc Guest

Nicu...
    The easy steps are:

Install the "ShopBot TC (inch or metric)" post into your VCarve Pro {user data\....postp} folder.

Toolpath your file and assign tool number 1 thru 19 for all tools that use the Z axis. Assign 21 thru 29 for all those that use the A (second Z)

Save the SBP file with the "TC" post selected.

That should get you going.
    Last edited by garyc; 01-18-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Tool number correction

Gary,
    I changed pp head 2 with "SO,2,1" for head2 router ON and "SO,2,0" for head2, now the second z in working fine.

Regarding ShopBot TC, I couldn't make it working. I assigned tool # 1 to the spindle that use the Z axis and tool#15 for the router-A (second Z). Saved the SBP file with the new "TC" postp. The program is working just with the spindle. Also how can I eliminate all these unnecesary questions in the program ( is tool #1 in spindle, is z axis zeroed.......etc ) I do the zzero for both axis before I start the program and all these questions in the midle of the program are not productive and unneccesary when working with 2 axis.
    Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Nicu

garyc Guest

Nicu...
    You can find some more info on tool numbering convention in the header of the MTC file. (double click to open in editor). Tools for head one (Z axis) can be numbered from 1 to 19. (ONLY) Tools for head 2 (A Axis) can be numbered from 21 to 29 (ONLY). Using tool number 15 should result in code sent to the Z. 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's are dedicated to drills.

You are not the only one that is irked by the tool and zero messages, but it is the only way to be sure that a bit was not changed when the software was not tracking it, or when the machine is off. Some users have rem'ed out or modified some of those lines once they were familiar with the operation of the MTC system. Others, who have ignored them, have plunged an unzeroed bit deep into the table. (Don't ask!) If you modify your files, make a backup first and save a copy of the new files, once they are to your likeing.

EDIT: My mistake in post #5
    Last edited by garyc; 01-18-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Gary,
    Sorry for the delay.
    Still doesn't work how suppose to.
    The spindle and the router are turning ON how suppose to but the program doesn't take in consideration the offset between the two axes. Also in the red box control software SB3 where it shows the position of the tool, "A" position is zero, doesn't change, regardless what tool is working. Something is not ok...... Please see attached files one with the router starting first, another one viceversa.
    Thanks,
    Nicu

The attachments are too big.....I will email to you at support@shopbottools.com

garyc Guest

Nicu...
    I have received your files. I also have requested one more in my reply.

Additional questions:
    1) Has 4 axes been enabled with the [V][D] command?
    2) Has the "Head2 offset" been set either manually or with ShopBot Setup? [T][S]