Thread: Spare a thought for the Aussies!

Default Spare a thought for the Aussies!

Going through a super bad patch down under with 200 bushfires in 4 states, a cyclone hovering around off Western Australia and this morning there was a minor off shore earthquake in Tasmania. Never had such hot weather with some places copping 50 degrees. We had a nasty scare on Friday night with a fire at Kangaroo Ground 21 kms down the hill. They threw 23 fire trucks at it and aerial water bombers - one called Elvis supplied by you guys. We have lots more hot weather predicted for next week. The internet tends to fall over during crisis periods. We do have a phone warning system that kinda works. Not a good time to visit!
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Keep you and your SB safe!

Richard it is a lucky shed. In the 2009 bushfires the roof burnt for three nights yet no damage in the shop. Just needed a new roof. Two moths ago a massive tree fell right beside it but on the opposite side to the bot. Glass house didnt fair well at all!
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Looks like you have a lucky bot. Hope it stays that way!

I read on another post you said you added an "Onedin vortex".
    What is that?

I think being in Australia he is upside down so he can't think straight with the blood rushing to his head but i think he was referring to this:
    "oneida vortex"
    http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD...XCK010000A-IND
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack you spell check better than any computer! Just had anther fire start 23 kms away. Idiot fire bugs we reckon. Good use for the iPad Jack as they come staight to it.
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Bob you will live up in those bush fire prone areas. Predicting 39C this Thursday......better set up the sprinkler on your shed roof. I'm rostered on the medevac chopper that day....I'll keep an eye on ya
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    Jack you spell check better than any computer! Just had anther fire start 23 kms away. Idiot fire bugs we reckon. Good use for the iPad Jack as they come staight to it.
    Can you do anything to protect yourself like watering the area or cutting down vegetation?

Up here in Queensland, we don't have it as bad. I can smell the smoke in the air from the bush fires on Bribie Island an hour or so north drive from us. Thankfully no serious fires threatening any homes around Brisbane.

But they say it got to 49c (120 Fahrenheit) in Birdsville today. Makes the 35c temperature in Brisbane that I have to put up pale in comparison. Does make me wonder if I need to run the warm up routine for the spindle when it gets this hot.

Shane.

In Canada with my ShopBot Desktop I was cutting things all day at 0C in the garage, now that I'm almost set-up here in Perth and will be back to ShopBotting - my concern went from keeping it warm to making sure it doesn't overheat! I'll get a big industrial fan blowing on it but the housing covers the spindle too well... already bought a huge vaccum to suck as much heat out of the enclosure as possible.

Last week we had a few days over 40C! Never had that kind of heat before but makes 30C seem cool hahahaha

Jon
    --------------
    Founder of CNCKing.com (Project files for your ShopBot Table Router) and CNCROi.com (Custom CNC Shop)