Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I R2 building a robot.

They seem complex, but really aren't. I was very concerned about how hard all this was going to be, but it turns out if you just break it down into small pieces, it's not bad. I carve one or two pieces a day....it takes maybe an hour. In a couple more days, I have to start thinking about the dome. More pics soon...

I was told my upper vent was wrong, so I fixed it with a re-carve of that piece. I also worked on the two little blue "utility arms". I also carved a small rounded piece for the bottoms of the legs.

Today I did a little more priming and painting after I returned to the shop from a mural I'm finishing at a local business. He's starting to look more and more familiar:

That upper vent was driving me crazy. Good thing you took care of it.

(What the heck was wrong with it?)

The original looked just like the one on bottom....but the top actually has fewer "slats" and they go all the way across. I figured I'd get something wrong on this...which is why Lord Vader said he was disturbed by my lack of faith.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Randall Newcomb
    10 fingers in, 10 fingers out
    another good day in the shop

Last weekend and early this week, I spent some time cleaning up the legs...spot filling and priming and painting. Same with some of the other parts. Now it's time to start thinking about those feet so this little guy can stand on something.

The very professional and amazing folks at the R2 Builder's club really do a much better job at making these droids than I do...I'm not trying to make him move, so building him static is both easier..and harder. I'm also trying to carve all of the parts, which is a challenge.

I'll post the feet soon..then it's on to the dome. That's the big challenge for me. I could buy something not too expensive, but I plan to take a stab at doing it myself.

In my case, were there no ShopBot here....there'd be no droid.

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to share.

I got some more done on him between a mural and preperations for 3 new client signs....

I cut out the pieces and assembled the feet covers (the weight of the robot will fall on an inner wooden frame that holds the wheels he sits and moves on).

I also started carving more of the details for the lower leg. This is a piece that sits on the "ankle" When I can, I like to use scrap HDU and keep the cost low!

A little primer and paint, and it's a test fit on the leg.

While at the local big box store, I picked up some items I won't make on the cnc...these are braided hose that go on R2's feet (connecting the feet to an inner shape inside the legs)

A quick spray paint of bronze, and they're the right color.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this, Doug. It's looking fantastic!

Default Happy Feet

I made progress over the weekend...
    First, I carved up all the pieces for a portion of the droid commonly called the "skirt". I have R2 upside down to attach it here:

Next I worked on the structure for another set of parts called the "Battery Boxes" which are attached to the inner feet (under the skirt). I still need to carve some thin pvc to cover them (skin). In this photo one of them is attached to the foot on the left side.

I also had to create the wooden frame that will hold the wheels. This frame is hidden inside the "shells" made for the feet. The wooden structure and wheels will take on the weight of the body and legs. I have one temporarily bolted to a leg in this picture. The foot shell is sitting on the floor beside it.

Should be able to assemble the body tomorrow. Then it's on to the dome.