Thread: How to preserve setup/profile files?

Default How to preserve setup/profile files?

The old computer has got to go. As I reinstall the ShopBot software on a new(er) laptop, what are the setup and machine profile files I need to copy and bring over to the new machine to insure that I get the same setup values? The old machine was running XP. The software is Sb3 version 3.6.44. Thanks!

Mike

Nobody replied to this question (although 132 viewed it) so I sent it to support at ShopBot. Frank answered and said, "The main two files are the ShopBot.ini and my_variables. The config file location is going to depend on your version of windows."

The "my_variables" file was pretty obvious to me, but the shopbot.ini was harder to anticipate. Turns out it's the one with with the variable units for your steppers. It's harder to find, too, because in Windows 8 the folder where it lives is "hidden" in the default installation. You need to change file view to display hidden files and folders.

Running Windows 8:
    shopbot.ini is in (your root hard drive)\ProgramData\ShopBot\ShopBot3
    my_variables.sbc is in (root hard drive)\SbParts\Custom

I hope that's of help to somebody who suddenly has to jump to a new computer in the midst of a tight work schedule, which is where I was.

Mike
    MasterPeace Artisans

ShopBot PRT96 with a V4g
    VCarve Pro
    Cut3D
    TouchCAD

Thanks useful info.....I have Vista so will see where that ini file is.
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

I didn't view the question or answer it because i didn't have the answer if i had seen it, however my guess might have been because of the placement being way down at the bottom of the forum in a section that isn't that "cool" might have been why you didn't get enough views or answers.

Next time i'd ask in the main/top shopbot section because that is where most people start out first and you'll get more eyeballs on your question there.

I'm glad you got your question answered and when all else fails, go ask the experts.
    What's funny is that in the 7 years now i've owned my shopbot, i think i had to call them 2 or 3 times in the beginning and haven't had to call for probably 5 years now. So good luck...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Good idea. Thanks!

Mike
    MasterPeace Artisans

ShopBot PRT96 with a V4g
    VCarve Pro
    Cut3D
    TouchCAD

garyc Guest

Mike, et al...
    I was on the road and missed this thread. I am attaching a doc that makes the process relatively easy. Just a few steps. Also works to keep you running well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gary.....very useful..

Jack I use the 'New Posts' button that way no matter where it is put on the forum I don't miss it....
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

garyc Guest

Michael, et al....
    This short doc was a PDF conversion of a web column (blog) from Sept of 2011. From back in the day when Users such as Brady, David Buchsbaum, myself and others wrote these articles for the ShopBot website in an effort to assist the user base with some tips, tecniques and methods that we have learned over the years. There are many more there, an untapped, or at least seldom mentioned, wealth of knowledge.

LINK: http://www.shopbottools.com/mPeople/webcolumns.htm

Good Point Gary - We need some new articles and to encourage shopbotters to reference them more regularly.

Considering the momentum Sketchup continues to gain in the woodworking community, I think someone needs to elaborate on it's potential as a design tool and how best to utilize it with the Shopbot and related software. It's not the "plug-n-play" simplicity I'd hoped for, but thanks to lots of contributors here, I'm functioning quite well now. A condensed article on getting started with follow ups on advanced techniques would be much better than endless searches and re-hashed Q&A.
    Sounds like I've already got an outline....

Likewise, it would be good to hear how conversion to windows 8 is going for those who are begining to utilize it, as we're all going to be there eventually...

jeff