Thread: 2D Scanner?

Default 2D Scanner?

I like to watch "How Do They Do It" on TV. Last night there was an episode on making riding saddles. At one point they used a 2D scanner that I have never seen before. It looked like a hand held calculator. At the top there was a ring that looked like a metal key ring. The operator used it to digitize flat patterns. He held it a a number of points around the perimeter of the pattern and clicked to enter the data, which I assume were coordinates. The patterns were opened in a CAD program to nest and cut out the parts in leather for the saddle.
    The scanner looked like it would be useful for any type of CNC work. Has anyone seen a scanner like this?

These devices are called digitizing tablets. There are a lot of vendors of them. Several that come to mind are CalComp and Wacom.

Here is a digitizing tablet from CalComp like the one you describe:

http://www.gtcocalcomp.com/drawingboard6small.htm

Digitizing tablets are excellent tools, but they are pricey.

In this day, you can usually achieve equivalent accuracy much cheaper by using the camera in your cell phone and software. Look into photogrammetry software.

Wacom specialized in digitizing tablets that include tactile input for a 3rd dimension. Artists really love em, because its more like using a real paint brush or chisel.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Default digitizing tablets

I have one of these tablets ,bought the table second hand and then purchased the software and cordless pen.
    Its a great tool and yes you can copy a 2D object ,there even is software to allow a large diagram ---saves being a cad person as it outputs dxf

http://youtu.be/7YDp26vcnqU
    http://youtu.be/G1FQgcDPuRA

these are 2 of a few demos i did ,more info from
    john.walsh@logicgroup.com logic group
    john can fix you up with a smaller version or something like mine
    or write me for more info

http://youtu.be/ZBPSzPKAu2I this is a good demo showing the trace and the cut --product duplicated
    Last edited by woodman08; 01-18-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: add one more

john sent me and e-mail. $800.00 for the software. That a little to much just to trace a part on a board. I have a 5 x 4 gtco digitizing tablet ( that was over 2000.) that we use for construction estimating. I can scan into aspire and do just as good. just can not see putting out another 800.

Default the software cost

Frank
    I felt the same way ,but in my case i was not good at cad stuff so this was an easy way out .Its very acurate and he really looks after you to get the best use of the software.I find now its a tool to rely on .
    At least you have the tablet
    Mind i do scan some images and have had good luck as drawing something like a clock dial might be a challenge
    This took awhile (like 1.2 hrs) but i managed to get it and cut it on the cnc co2 las
    http://youtu.be/AabFmDxDDec cutting a scanned clock dial
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dana, I was wondering if you could give an example of Photogrammetry. I did a google search and only found 3d software (ex. 123d) I was hoping to import a set of printed plans that I bought for a Paddle Board. One page is 10 feet long.....

Or you could get one of these!
    Ron Sloan

Quote Originally Posted by dana_swift View Post
    ...Digitizing tablets are excellent tools, but they are pricey.

In this day, you can usually achieve equivalent accuracy much cheaper by using the camera in your cell phone and software. Look into photogrammetry software...
    Yup.

Digital camera or flatbed document scanner + PartWorks = Photogrammetry software solution. You only need to pull your tape or use your calipers to get one dimension (although several are preferred) in order to create a fairly accurate digital representation of a given part. Manual vector tracing over a photo is the preferred method, as opposed to using a tool or program that wraps vectors to a color boundary. Results are cleaner looking & cleaner cutting.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default flatbed scanner

flatbed scanner was what i used on the clock dial and it worked fine
    a bit of editting but it does work.
    But a direct vector output gives smoother results but its costly