Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallen warrior

Default another ESR plaque

This time it was made from cherry.

Something simple and something differant for me. I glued a piece of black walnut on top of a piece of alder. I insured that the 3-d file cut through the black walnut exposing the alder for the cross. The medical file came from 3d model club and since i could not find a cross that I liked and would work with this scheme I just made one using aspire 3.5
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rick,
    I like both projects they are very nice. The finish on the cherry is beautiful.
    Let me ask you what might be a dumb question....
    Why glue the two woods together THEN cut it...as opposed to cutting them seperately THEN gluing them together?

They both turned out excellent!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Default thats the million dollar question

No major reason behind it other than i just wanted to try it. As you can imagine on the edges the emblem is quite thick, but i knew that going in. Over all thickness is 2.25 inches thick.

Oh, and here i was, expecting some super fancy secret cutting strategy that made it easier and better outcome lol

But that does bring up some questions...when you created the 3d surface you had to include the outline of the emblem and intersect it with the outline of the cross right?
    In order to cut to the bottom of the emblem did you have to take some of the surface of the cross? If so, did you see a small ridge of the cross under the emblem?
    What form did you glue together in the first place? Was it squares?

I like asking questions to satisfy my curiosity so as to understand the reason you did it this way...because i figure there was more to it then...
    No major reason behind it other than i just wanted to try it lol

thanks buddy....they look great
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Default i have aspire 3.5

I glued two scrap rectangle pieces together. and with a caliper i measured the depth of each board. This dictated just how deep i would have to cut to cut through the black walnut. The cross itself is a componant. So when i put the medical componant on top of the cross I used the outline tool in modeling and it outline the two as if they were one.

I had been wanting to try this for a while but perhaps it would have looked better as a bowl cutting.

I think that addressed everything if not just ask

well they both turned out really well.....good job
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Default Latest plaque texas ranger

There is one more seal coat to go on and this one will be considered finished. The rope border from vector art 3-d, vector dr did the v-carve and I created the rest on aspire 3.5. It is made from black walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

beautiful supper nice.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Default ranger

Thanks. I think that the next time around I will v carve the wreath thingys on the sides instead of making them components.

Beautifully done, Rick. Your stuff seems to look nicer and nicer as time goes on. Thanks for posting.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com