Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust boot thumb screw self-loosens

Default Dust boot thumb screw self-loosens

I'm using the standard dust boot on a PRS Standard, and the thumb screw almost never stays tight. I've tried wiggling the boot and bracket while tightening and nothing seems to resolve the issue. The back of the vertical bar that the screw hits does not seem damaged.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
    John

Mine did that also. I put up with it for 2 weeks and then got a real dust shoe. Get a Kent Dust Shoe and you will never look back.

http://kentcnc.net/nc/products/94-st...dust-shoe.aspx

That looks promising.

The dust duct for that shoe is on the router side of the Y car, not the side where the cables are mounted, and my machine does not have a triangle-shaped metal piece on the router side to clamp the hose to. Can these be parts purchased separately?

There are lots of options for mounting the Kent shoe. Look at ten machines and you'll probably see ten different configurations.

This is how I have mine now. Originally I had the hose bent over the top and clamped to the old dust hose fittings. This way is much better for the airflow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,
    I concur with all other comments - couldn't keep thumbscrew tight - switched to Kent shoe - works optimally and looks great too- hope someday it will be standard on all new shopbots.

You don't need to buy another bracket...
    Just take that triangle bracket from existing location and mount to opposite side - you'll find some threaded holes that line up nicely in the upper left corner of Z car as you face your router(spindle). Echain needs a small L bracket to re-gain it's attachment to Zcar when you swap, but in the end, your setup will look almost 100% factory designed. You'll be eliminating the 3.5" dust hose and running straight to kent with 4" flex. Just be sure to ground that wire, and good idea to add a copper trace inside while you're at it - cheap easy way to discharge static - referring to recent thread:

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16829

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    John,
    Echain needs a small L bracket to re-gain it's attachment to Zcar when you swap
    Thanks Jeff, I like that idea - I hadn't considered swapping the existing part - seems the echain would put a bit of torque. Any picture of a sufficient support for the echain?

John,
    Would have yesterday but wasn't in shop. First shot shows how nicely the Kent shoe gets along with the arrangement. Second is of the "back" side, including the 99 cent generic 4" L bracket. I'm sure I drilled a hole or two for proper alignment of echain fasteners, and I may have drilled/tapped a second hole for fastening to z-car with those 1/4" cap screws. You'll see directly below the open holes from original location of triangle bracket. To the right is a matching set of threaded holes that received it perfectly in it's new location:
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can buy another one of those brackets to mount on the front from SB if you didn't want to disturb your 'factory spec' wiring configuration.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

It looks to me like the Kent shoe would hinder bit change a lot more. Do you have to loosen the pinch bolt every time to get the thing out of the way?

Jim

No, you do not need to loosen it. Watch the video, you'll be sold. The brush/skirt is held on by magnets and comes off quickly for bit changes.