Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My experience has been a GREAT one!

Andy.

We've been sharing "our secrets" for years on this forum.

All you have to do to learn them is to make the effort to find and read them, which is easy.
    Look up subjects under "Topics" or do a key word search.

There have been very long and detailed discussions of all aspects of pricing, advertising, signmaking techniques, etc.

Once you have made the effort to familiarize yourself with what has already been posted, come back and ask the questions that haven't already been asked and answered.

And i have return... I was wondering what kind of woods that you have used that have turned out really good with out using any paint just finishing them? There are so many kinds of wood out there its hard to wonder what might look the best. Also How would you cut several lines of words on your sign?? Do you use a software to do that or do you just use the type setter on the shop bot [tt]? I've used the Type setter on the software to do all my signs but then again it didn't have to go past 1 line. Also what kinds of finishs have you used on your signs to get the best finish?

Do an author search using my name and you'll find I've said something about all those things.
    Most of my signs are high density urethane and painted but I still do a lot out of Ipe, western red cedar, and eastern cedar/juniper. I let them weather gray because any clear finish will break down within a year of exposure to sunlight.

I have done some Honduras mahogany signs and finished them with spar varnish, but they too need refinishing within a year or so if left outside.

Interior signs can be made from just about any wood and I often use water based polyurethane on them.

I design and do all my text in CorelDraw, Arts and Letters Express, and LetterArt9.5 signmaking software and then export dxf,eps,or ai files to Vectric's VCarve Pro where I further manipulate the design and created tool paths.

I suggest you just start making some signs for yourself and friends using the very user-friendly and reasonably priced VCarve Pro so you can learn by experience what works for you and what you like. A version of it called PartWorks is provided free with new ShopBots now.

Check out postings by Raymond Chapman, Joe Crumley (sp?) and the many other fine signmakers on this forum.

Subscribe to SignCraft magazine and find a copy of Mike Stevens book or tape on Layout through SignCraft.

Have fun and good luck!

Hi Andy
    Vectric software is the best you can buy for the money. I have V Carve Pro and Photo V Carve. Go to the Vectric forum and look around. You will find many ideas there also. What size machine did you decide on?
    Dan

okay ill search and see what i can't find on thouse authors. I decided on the Shop bot buddy for now. if i need a bigger one i can just go up to the school and use their 4x8 cnc.