Thread: $$ Need Training and Assembly Help

rodjohnson@prodigy.net Guest

Default $$ Need Training and Assembly Help

I bought a used cable drive ShopBot. We have assembled it and it it is operational (I think). I'd like to build a vaccuum table and dust collection system and get some training on basic operations. I have a small sign shop and this will be used for making signs. I'd like to design in our current programs (Gerber's Omega and Corel Draw 8) and export them as files that can be read by the ShopBot.
    I'd like to hire someone in the California area (machine is in the Fresno area) who has had experience with all of this. I'll pay expenses plus cash. I just want to start using this wonderful machine!!

Thanks - I hope someone can help!

Rod Johnson

Wdyasq@yahoo.com Guest

Rod,

If it were my machine - and at one time I had an oversize cable machine and did this, I would convert to rack and pinion drive. At the least I would convert the X and Y axis. If the 'Z' has a ball screw, it will work well - In My Opinion.

The cable drive machines will work. Mine took CONSTANT tinkering with and checking. It would still, on occation, decide to get out of wack.

ShopBot chose to quit the cable drive business for a good reason.

It is my opinion you will need to assure you have the Bishop-Wisecarver bearings, rack and pinion drive with geared motors (you CAN build your own gearboxes, I did) and a good CAM program - talk to ShopBot on the program you might choose.

Other advice; build a good steel table; find someone who KNOWS vacuum tables to help and talk to on that; try and get control of the dust; have a healthy account for the router bits.

Ron

rgengrave@aol.com Guest

Rod I had a cable drive and know all the good tricks to it, if you ever need help with it let me know.

Ron Varela
    R&G Engravers
    Http://www.rngengravers.com
    RGengrave@aol.com
    512-268-1497

gabelschbt@aol.com Guest

In Chicago, we are buying a 48" x 96" shop bott and would like to hire someone who can help us set up the shopbott. We are buying the table and the extra z Axis. We are available on weekends.
    Call Tom 773-878-6800 x 14

Thanks

I'm in Elgin and have a somewhat flexible schedule