Thread: Long Bits

Default Long Bits

This is something I have been doing for years for 3d work when a lot of reach is necessary.

A metal lathe is required to do this, I take a round stock blank, for the small bits I use brass 1/4 stock it machines easily, or as in the picture I had some 1/2 aluminum rod in the scrap can.

The larger bit is mounted in some type of high nickel steel I got a bunch at a surplus junk shop. it is durable and machines well.

The rods are bored to the bits shank size, The bits are held in with Cyanoacrylate glue, I have never had one come out in the more than ten years I have been doing this. Removing a broken or dull bit is done by heating the bit with a propane torch it will slide right out with a pull of some pliers, then soak the extension in acetone to dissolve any remaining glue.

I also make collet reducers, take a piece of round stock bore it to the shank size needed all the way through the length, then cut a slot along the length and you have a c collet reducer for any bit size, brass is my preferred material for collet reducers.

do you have any issues with vibration or balance? I have used a quick release chuck on my other router for years with no issues, not so much for extra reach but for ease of quick change.
    I know you can talk to the guys at centuriontools and they can make you a custom longer tool. good job...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Brian,
    It's great when you can make your own tools - and it is the hallmark of a true craftsman. Bravo!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Jack as long as the bits are perfectly concentric in the shaft they are fine that is really only an issue in the larger sizes like the one inch core box pictured the 1/8 bits never have a vibration issue.

Thanks Brady, necessity is the mother of invention thats for sure.