Thread: Cartridge Filters for Chip Collectors?

Default Cartridge Filters for Chip Collectors?

Has anyone replaced their chip collector bags with cartridge filters? I stumbled upon this website and they have a good sales pitch. Has anyone tried the cartridges? What were the results?

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Brad…
    It looks good, it converts the collector to how it should have been made in the first place! .5 micron is lots better than the 30 micron typical of most bag type collectors. A bag style collector guarantees that the very worst particulates are suspended for you to breathe.

SG

Two factors are at work here. The increased surface area increases airflow as long as the opening mesh remains the same. The smaller opening restricts airflow. Folks who have simply switched to a smaller opening bag as is offered by some suppliers have reported less suction at the hose. 30/.05 means that it takes 600 holes to get the same airflow. The next figure is holes per square inch. If they have 600/4(150) times the holes per square inch as the 30 micron bag then you get the same airflow with a unit that has 4 times the surface area. They don't tell you about that.

That being said, Bill Pentz knows airflow. If he says their unit results in no loss of suction at the hose then it likely is true.

All of them get clogged up and need to be cleaned. Folks who precyclone their unit also report less dust escapage. You have the advantage of setting up the cyclone to dump into a trash can and easier disposal that way as well. Even with the cheap trash can lid venturi set up it takes quite a while for the unit bag to fill up and the upper bag stays a lot cleaner.

I have a 7 1/2 hp cyclone outside with filters inside. I bought the filters from Wynn Environmental who recommended 4 -12" diameter X 48" tall filters to replace the 6 10"d bags which the unit came with. Their advice and help was terrific and it is so much nicer than the bags. Cleaning the filters can be a real mess if I allow the system to overfill. Go for it.

I agree with Wayne - Call Wynn
    Just converted from original bags ~40 sq ft filter media to cartridge made of nano-fiber with 300 sq ft surface area.
    Incredible increase in air flow on my 2HP system (converted to cyclone a while ago).
    You'll need to fab an inlet for the cartridge and end cap, which can be either a simple bag or a cleanout. Clean out allows you to blow compressed air into filter to displace caking. Cyclone simply separates it out, resulting in an almost self-cleaning setup. Note 5 gallon bucket on top - inserted 1.5" egg crate foam, creating a reasonably effective muffler. Worth every penny in time and material.

jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff,

Where did you get the cyclone unit? It looks like you took a standard DC motor and flipped it horizontal.

I'd like to do this with my 5hp, 4-bag Delta DC and have a valve where I can blow dust outside in the summer (it gets in the 90's and 100's here) and go through a couple of Wynn filters in the winter (keep the warm air inside).

I want to have a large bin (55 gallon at least) on rollers. This way I can roll it out to my front loader, pick it up and dump it on the burn pile. The best thing would be just to send all the chips outside and scoop them up with the front loader when I feel like it.

My nearest neighbor is a 1/4 mile away so I can do whatever I want. I live in the wilderness.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I talked to Dick Wynn today and he said they have another filter unit that they don't advertise. This one is 36" tall and provides for 110 sq ft of filter capacity. It has a designator like L9 or 9L or something like that. He said it is a perfect solution for those cutting MDF on a CNC (something I do a lot of).
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    Jeff,
    Where did you get the cyclone unit? It looks like you took a standard DC motor and flipped it horizontal.
    Try amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cyclone-CYCLON...lector+cyclone

I did exactly as you described - converted a two bag 2hp PSI unit to a cyclone from this supplier. Cannot state strongly enough - absolutely stunning difference in performance, especially as I upgraded to industrial metal duct throughout the shop at the same time. Filter added just a month ago, and resulted in another significant boost in performance.

Sorry my pictures were flipped horizontal as well

As you discuss with the folks at wynn, just be sure to get advice on the best filter to fit the HP/airflow capacity of your system.

jeff

I bought the C-1425C cartridge filter from Wynn. It made a huge difference in my airflow. I was a tight fit, but I was able to tap it down inside my upper bag ring. It came with about a 1/2" thick gasket so it still sealed good against the inner cone.

I also fabricated one of the Thien cyclone inserts just under my inlet. I have only done a little cutting so far. But the Thien insert seems to really do the job. You can see the chips swirling in a cyclone pattern down to the bottom of the clear bag. They did an article in Fine Woodworking in the March/April issue on the cartridge filters and the Thien insert.
    Attached Images Attached Images