Thread: Required Work Space for PRS Standard 96-48-6

Default Required Work Space for PRS Standard 96-48-6

First time poster. I'm thinking about putting a PRS Standard 96-48-6 in a new garage and I'm wondering about the required work space. I spoke to technical support a while back and I seem to remember the over all space is something like 10'x12'. I fail to remember what the minimum clearances are on each side of the machine. I think I may have a table saw adjacent to the PRS Standard 96-48-4 on one side I think I'm able to feed sheet goods of the top of that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Well you have stepper motors and the carriage that sticks over the edge by about 12" and if it was me I would want (if you can spare it) at least 24 more inches for you to get around it.
    Alot of guys put it up against one wall but you are going to have times when you need to clamp things down on all sides and need to get to all sides.

So the answer is a minimum of 12" and the maximum is "infinity and beyond!"
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I have an older prt 48x96 and at the time I got it it went into a 10x16 room it was doable but tight, I did have barn doors so I could load sheet goods I have a larger space now and really appreciate being able to walk around the whole machine.

Measuring out from the rails I have 20 inches clearance front and back and 8 inches clearance on the right side.

I have more than enough space on the left side to load 8x4 sheets and I find the access I have is enough to be able to clamp anywhere and to maintain the machine.

Of course a lot depends on how big your waist is!

120" x 79" x 67

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks for cutting to the chase as usual, Brady.

Use your current design software and make a simple box sized according to the drawings Brady served up, courtesy of shopbot.

OR.... download a free copy of Google Sketchup.
    Go to the model library and find your machine - I'm certain that's where I found one a year ago when I was in same position. Verify those dimensions,
    draw your garage space, plop model in there and you'll have a great understanding of what you have to work with.

Using this method is how I was able to determine placing my machine at a 45 degree angle worked optimally for my shop's workflow.

jeff

one thing that I did was put some covers over the rack to keep from getting grease on my shirts.

Jerry -
    Would love to see a shot of those rack covers, as I'm running out of clean white T's....

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    one thing that I did was put some covers over the rack to keep from getting grease on my shirts.
    This is one reason to get yourself a shop apron. Remember seeing your shop class teacher wearing one of those? Not the sexiest outfit on the planet, but...it beats getting yelled at by the laundry department, and you'll look like a gentleman who might know what he is doing instead of a knuckle-dragger with grease tracks across his shirt.

I still wouldn't mind seeing your 'covers'...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com