Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urn

Default Urn

Hi Folks. I have a friend whose mother just passed away. He's obviously quite upset and asked me if I'd help him make a nice urn for her ashes. Of course I said yes. I have made a ton of boxes over the years but never an urn and I don't think a box is right for this. I don't turn or have a lathe but I do have my 'bot. Anyone have a any ready to cut files for urns? Or advice of where I might find something? I'd buy the file if you do. I am getting better using my machine but my design skills aren't good enough to design something like this yet. I assume it'd be cut in layers and assembled since it's just a 3 axis machine. But I don't know. Thanks.

I do occasional work for an urn dealer, check out auinc(dot)com for ideas.

He has a lot of non-round models.
    Harold

Let me DROP EVERYTHING and work on YOUR job!!

You can make a box work. The wood is pear wood.
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

you could modify this project to fit the size you need. I saw this a while back
    http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/pr...ool-cubes.html
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

There's also a rose vase among Vectric's free projects. I couldn't see it from the pages connected to Jack's link, but I just downloaded it a few days ago.
    You could probably tweak that and swap out the rose with the praying hands model for something that'd be nice.

What about a glue up of a bunch of rings to make a cylinder shape, plus a top and bottom? Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

One of the main things that makes an urn different from a box is how well the top seals and stays closed or locks. I guess the reason for that is kind of obvious...

I went to the web and found how many cubic inches were required for a certain weight.
    Then built a box with locking 45deg joints in the corners, then did a rabbit for the top and ran a pocket in the base to set the box into and installed 4 screws to hold the bottom and box together.
    That way I can carve different images or engrave different sayings into the sides. The best one was the praying hands carved into 3/8in board then cut out and glued onto the top. Takes a little longer but seemed worth it.
    Butch

Thane,
    I find myself in a similar situation. On December 28th, the morning after my family and I returned from our Christmas vacation, we were awoke to the news that one of our best friends had died suddenly in his sleep. A few days later his wife and son showed up at our house and ask me to make a box for his ashes. Keep in mind that these were the very same people who had endured multiple years of my constant "wanting a Shopbot" wining and had been here when I brought it home. They felt it was only appropriate that my friend reside in a "Shopbotted" box made lovingly by his good friend. I had grand ideas of a museum grade elaborately adorned artifact to honor my friend. After running my ideas past his family I was reminded by his son that his father was a simple man and would rather it be much simpler than I was suggesting. I have struggled with the design for many weeks,almost to the point of total creative blockage, until I just simply asked them what they wanted. As I type this, the front panel with a 3D mountain scene is cutting away on the bot and I hope to have it completed by the weekend. Very simply, anything you make will be fine. It will just be appreciated that you took the time to make it. Good Luck. I will post pictures of the one I'm making when its complete.

Mark