Thread: 1 1/4 fly cutter

Default 1 1/4 fly cutter

I went to surface my Trupan today, and ran into a bit of a problem. I loaded the 1 1/4 inch fly cutter that was supplied to me in my Shopbot starter kit, and created a pocket toolpath in aspire to take of .002 deom the board. Normally when I load a file via FP it gives me a preview, with the ability to edit the toolpath once, since my Aspire tool database does not have the fly cutter in it, but the SB3 tool database does, I was just simply going to select it from there. But for some reason, when I load that file it does not give me the preview, nor the ability to edit the toolpath.

Is there a way to do this? Am I missing something really simple here?

David

Default Aspire

Can you simply copy the .5 inch end mill bit in your Aspire tool database and give it a new dimension of 1.25 inches ??

It should then preview the same I would think.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Fire up SB3, go to TOOLS, select SURFACER, and fill in the blanks. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

You can set the previewer and Aspire to use the same tool database so it all works seamlessly. The instructions are in a text file in the sbparts folder.

Default Or I could

Export the tool from the SB3 tool database, then import it into my Aspire database. Brilliant, sometimes I amaze myself.

David

David, Curtis is correct, just call it a 1.25 dia end mill and it will work just fine. I do want to make a little statement regarding the term "fly cutter". I have been a toolmaker for 25+ years and a true fly cutter has only one cutting tool (not two like what you got in your kit) (do a google image search). What you actually have in you kit is considered a shell cutter. Why would I make such a deal about this? I can tell you that if you try to use a true fly cutter with only one cutting bit you will find that it will not work in router router. A one bit fly cutter is not balanced and will just about shake your router head off of your z-axis. Trust me, dont try it! I did it once and I couldn't hit the off switch fast enough...