Thread: Porter Cable stopped Mid "Flatten Top" wont come back on

Default Porter Cable stopped Mid "Flatten Top" wont come back on

Guys, I was running a flatten top, and the router stopped.

I tried re-starting and everything, but would not come back on.

Everything else tries to do like normal.

How can I tell if its the router or something else?
    Banquet Tables Pro LLC.

Unplug the extension cord and plug it straight into a 110v outlet. If it turns on, good. If no, then you need brushes.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Powered on like that.

whats next? try the connection on the board?
    Banquet Tables Pro LLC.

I'd check to see if both rails of your 220v service to the machine are up. No clue what your machine is, but that's as good a start as any with zero info.

Default Brushes

When ever my brushes have burned out i experianced it shutting down or even running poorly. One test that i found on here if it is not running tap it lightly with a hammer and if it trys to start up then its the brushes. New the brushes are about 1 inch long each. When mine cratered they were about .25 to .3 inch long.

Can you start it using the keyboard commands. Your relay board may have burned out.

The real good news is that you can continue operating with Brady's strategy with not too much inconvenience until you find the fix. Life is not always that kind regardless of the machinery :-)

Sometimes crud builds up in the switch. Blow it out with compressed air.

I have it running plugged into the wall now.

2012 Standard 4x8

When I start the file and click "OK" to start the router. I hear a click inside the box, but it does not start.

I was trying to finish the leveling this morning, (plugged into the wall)
    It blew the breaker at the same spot in the file.
    I was trying to go -.25, because the spoil board has some "plys" that are messed up. I have to replace it.

I have it running now very light. -.1. Hopefully after a few runs, I can get it flat.

Then, deal with the other problem.

Do you think it was a fuse or something since I was trying to go so deep?
    Banquet Tables Pro LLC.

Its tough to know. Did you check that you have power going to the board? I don't know the schematic going into the board, but I think you need to see where the 110v for the router failed. It sounds like you think there is switching going on, but you need to verify that and the power output toward the router. A meter is going to be needed, at this point.

If it failed at or near the same place- it sounds like a file issue UNLESS it failed with direct power to the router which starts to sound like the router overheated or your circuitry overheated. You don't have a position where you are pinching wires and shorting something, do you? If it failed in the exact same spot.... that could be a possibility. How about static discharge ( vs short circuit). If you get things into a specific position such that you make a connection with a statically charged series of pieces, you may be discharging back into your control panel and killing things...

I have never taken off more than about .08" with my table flattening bit, in a single pass. MDF is pretty resistive to being cut- and I don't want to super-load the side of my spindle shaft- nor heat up the bit too much. Plus, I want a SMOOTH surface, so I want to take small "bites". A quarter inch was probably excessive ( I am conservative on things like that. Let's let someone else chime in on that part.)

It sounds like you are 75% of the way to figuring this out. Don't let those of us who have experienced other problems get you too distracted. Stick to your machine, and your known issues. It usually is the simplest solution. Keep after it and you will be OK.

Best wishes for a rapid return to normal cutting