Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW resident of my shop!

Default NEW resident of my shop!

I have groundhogs, possums, raccoons, and skunks among other things that pay nightly visits to my garbage cans but this is only the 2nd time in 30 years that i've seen a fox in the neighborhood.

He was down close to the corner and i figured he would get up and take off when i went out to the shop but he seemed to be content to lay there. While i was in there he poked his head in and looked (before i made loud noise with the bot) and i thought he was going to come in and make himself at home!
    But when i went to see him he took off...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Nature is a wonderful thing!

Bob

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Jack, looks like you have a red fox there. We have a few here but people seem to be scared of them for really no reason. We have had them in the past and have hand fed certain ones for quite some time. They have even gotton along with our cat for years, they just avoid each other. If you are careful they will get on a time schedule and be by each day at the same time. They are great for getting rid of mice or small rodents. Great to have a round! Unlike most stories they really are timed and harmless.

Default life in the sticks

I too live in the sticks. You would have thougt that i would have done this sooner but i ordered a game camera just yesterday, to see what lurks around here at night time.

Jack

I agree that having "wild" animals around is neat, but I have a story. Had a red fox raise her pups under my garage several years ago. They were fun to watch grow and were really harmless. Did not disturb anything or anyone. They grew up and moved on. Like your tenants left you a sofa, my tenants left me with fleas.

Enjoy but don't let them live there.

They are said to be bad about carrying rabies also. Tell your granddaughter to watch but don't get close!
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Well i was a bit scared for the "stray" cat that hangs around thinking the fox might go after him. She was raised around 600 pound lions and tigers (see avatar picture) this skinny little fox doesn't scare her

We know the difference between trained and wild so weren't going to try to pet it, for sure!

Speaking of a "game camera" I found one of those large pickled egg plastic jugs, i'm going to turn it upside down and i'm going to fashion a holder on the bot and place one of my remote control 2 axis cameras inside and place it under the deck and under my shop because it has nightvision to see what comes and goes on a nightly basis. We were talking about this for a science fair project.
    I hope I win a blue ribbon!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Too cool, Jack!!!
    Awhile back in Nat Geo there was an article about a Russian lady who had been selecting fox for tameness for lots of years. She's flat out domesticated them. I wish I could find the story for you, it was super cool.
    Here's a little story and the Wikipedia entry, and here's a guy in Florida who's selling the stock.
    It really is interesting, and it'd be an awesome pet. At $8900 a pup, I think we're all in the wrong business.

Rick,
    I don't live in the sticks...i'm in the middle of the city, that is what is so crazy is that all this wildlife is right where it shouldn't be. A couple years ago we had a small black bear roaming around a block over and had a couple Buzzards land across the street feasting on a dead squirrel. I have some pictures somewhere!
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

I had a friend of mine go deer hunting one year. While he was in the woods a buck deer came into the city and into his yard. The buck found his apple trees and spent the day eating his apples. True story.
    Dan