Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win Remote Server Issues

Default Win Remote Server Issues

I cannot get the Win Remote Server application on my iPhone to control the ShopBot.

1. Win Remote Server is running and minimized in the system tray.

2. Win Remote Server application is running on my phone and is talking to the Win Remote Server on the ShopBot control PC.

For example, when I press the refresh button on the iPhone application settings page, the server asks if it is OK if the phone IP is allowed to control the computer.

However, trying to use any of the buttons on the iPhone application gets no response from the ShopBot control software.

It has worked in the past - not sure what has changed.

Any ideas for trouble shooting pls?

Hi Peter,
    I have had the same problem before. Not sure if it is the answer for you or not though.
    What had happened in my case was , somehow, the IP Server number had changed. ( I did not realize this at the time ) I tried the scan function which made no difference. Opened up Win Remote and checked the number Different to what the phone said, so changed the phone number, minimized Win Remote and it has worked ok ever since.
    Hope your problem is as simple to fix as it is certainly a handy application to have.

Cheers,
    Roger.

PS: The one button on the I Phone that has never worked for me is the Fixed distance button. Not really major, just control that at the computer.

Roger

Thanks for the reply. All my IPs check out OK and the darned application has worked in the past, albeit intermittently.

So, I will keep looking around and see if I can find something.

Pete

P.S. I listened to Radio New Zealand International this AM on my way to work on the World Radio Network.

Sorry this isn't a solution Peter - I'm just joining in to report that I've also got problems with the app.

It's the first time I've used it (only got it a few days ago as part of an upgrade with other more important things) and basically the only button that works is the 'jog home' button. If I use the keyboard to move the shopbot away from the home position, then the 'jog home' button does actually send it to the home position. But no other buttons work, not +X, nor -X, nor +Y nor -Y nor +Z nor -Z.

Is there something I'm missing? Clearly there's communication if the 'jog home' button works. Any ideas? Where should people with problems with the shopbot remote go for help?

Logitech MK520 wireless KB & mouse has been rock solid for me...Batteries are supposed to be good for like 3yrs(!). This lets me have computer and monitor (big 37") on the wall and KB & mouse wherever I need it with full functionality. Been there done it as far as remotes go...all the way back to the Radio Shack corded PRT remote, Logitech game controller, arcade emulators and the phone. None work well enough to be used with reliability aside from the cordless Logitech. Plus, this completely frees up the phone to be used as a....wait for it...phone!

Genius, right?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

garyc Guest

This is my favorite, a programmable keypad. Heat shrink on a USB extension and I have 16' radius from the cart.

This is the Cherry version. You can assign whichever keys you desire. These are the ones that I use. They match up well with the 3.6 versions of the SB Keypad. "C" is included to allow callup of the C1-C9 files.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guys,

You can email me with troubles and if I can't resolve them, I can get in contact with the programmer. I'm the one who had the idea, made the graphics, and told the programmer what keys to bind to what buttons. I chose him because he had a server program and another keyboard/mouse app that controlled the PC and it wasn't a big leap to apply it to the ShopBot. He was willing to make it available for the low price of $2.99 and I got the satisfaction of using it. I wish I could do it all myself, but don't know how to program for iOS iPhone apps (don't want to either).

That said, I've been using it from the start and the only problem I've had is an occasional wifi problem where my 2nd Gen ipod touch wifi signal is cut back and needs to go back to full strength. This problem started after Apple screwed up iOS at iOS 4.0.

Here's the old thread that has a lot of info in it...http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8850

This is the programmers site...http://iphone.logiqu.com/ShopBotRemote/

Peter, be sure that widows firewall is allowing it to pass through. Make sure that windows focus is on SB3 and not some other program by clicking on the red 'Position' window before using the app. If the server app has another IP, try that. Also, try deleting all of them and start the app to allow a new connection.

Chris, when the 'Keypad' button is pressed on the device, the keypad should come up on SB3. At that point, the arrow keys should work to move the machine. Another way to check the arrow buttons is to click on 'File' in SB3's menu and then try the arrow buttons to move between them and down the list. Try the enter button on one also.

That said, with the upcoming release of the latest greatest version of SB3, some keyboard shortcuts have been changed. This is going to require us to make another version to work with the new software. I'm guessing that there will have to be two versions of the app, one for old SB3 and one for new SB3. Or I may just drop the whole thing. I'd like to update the graphics at that time, but I've just been so busy and haven't had the time or energy to even think about.

There may be a good possibility that newer devices may have some changes that cause issues, but I would have to check on that with the programmer. I only use a cheap eBay reconditioned iPod Touch 2gen device so I wouldn't know.

My email address is in my profile, feel free to contact me.
    Scott

Thanks for that, Scott - I didn't know that you need to press the 'keypad' button on the app (which launches the keypad window in the control software) before the jog keys work. And then you need to press the 'escape' button on the app to exit the keypad mode and be able to use the other buttons on the app. Now I understand why there are a set
    of buttons that are yellow - pressing 'Keypad' makes the +X, -X, +Y, -Y, +Z and -Z buttons ready to be used, and after using them pressing 'Escape' closes the keypad window in the control software and the jog keys are disabled again. If you want to use them again just press 'Keypad' on the app again.

So I've now checked that all the yellow keys work, and also 'Jog Home' and 'STOP'.

What are the 'Tab', 'Jog' and 'Fixed' buttons for?

Chris, good.

The 'Jog' and 'Fixed' buttons are for when you have the keypad open, you can lock keypad jog mode or fixed distance mode. These are the equivalent of the keyboard shortcuts of 'x' for 'Jog Next' and 'd' for 'Fixed' for a fixed distance move. The 'Tab' button is for tabbing between any dialog buttons like yes, no, quit, etc. so that you can then hit enter to choose. For instance, if you hit 'Escape' by mistake when the keypad isn't up on screen and instead you're asked if you want to quit SB3, you can tab once and hit enter to answer 'No'.

The 'Jog' button is one that will need to be changed as they have changed the hotkey for it in the new version of SB3.
    Scott

garyc Guest

Chris...
    I have attached a doc that explains the keypad functions in the 3.6.xx versions of the software. Some of these, as Scott mentions, will be changed when we go forward into the 3.8.xx versions. There are also a couple; [Shift]+[+] and [-] that are listed as spindle speed control that are no longer supported.

If you look at the supported keys, you can see that all that are required for FULL keypad function are programmed into the little handheld Cherry. This is especially useful for 1) Those who won't add wireless to a control computer, and 2) Those who dont have wireless in the facility.
    Attached Files Attached Files