Thread: Remote vacuum gauges?

Default Remote vacuum gauges?

I'm just finishing up a replacement vacuum manifold (photos coming soon) and wanted to add a bank of vacuum gauges, one for each zone. I know, seems like overkill, but we've lost sheets of material because the operator forgot to open the rest of the zones when changing from a partial sheet back to full sheets. A quick glance at a bank of gauges should clue the operator in as to whether or not all the zones are open.

Any reason why I cant use a fitting and some tubing to locate the gauges in a convenient place? It would only be 3 or 4 feet at most. I have some stiff 3/8" ID tubing - seems like a simple elbow into the bottom of the table and another fitting into the back of the gauge would be all it would take.

Seems so simple I'm embarrassed to ask about it, but it's not something I've tried before, so before I rout 8 holes through my table - yes or no?
    David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

There is no problem doing that, David. In fact, you can use automotive type gauges along with the capillary tubing that comes with it. Just make sure it is a mechanical gauge and not an 'electric' one that requires a remote sending unit. The price difference will tell you which is which right off the bat.

Happy plumbing

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

David,

Before I redid my plenum I had 4 zones and a vacuum gauges for each zone. I ran a flexible piece of hose from each zone to a gauge. Worked great.

With my rework on my plenum into 7 zones controlled by knife valves, I just have to remember which zones I need to open and close. Nobodies fault but mine if things get screwed up. So far, so good. The vacuum gauge on the current configuration is mounted close to the operator station and has a long plastic tube (about 8 feet) that goes into a hole in the pipe where it goes into the Gary Campbell vacuum box. Works great.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

David,

If you have four spare input discretes, you might consider using these adjustable vacuum switches http://www.ebay.com/itm/Group-Of-4-Gems-Adjustable-Vacuum-Switches-No-Reserve-/251231022903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7e89 2f37 ($20 + $13 shipping for a set of 4)

They could make sure the vacuum pressure is acceptable before the cutting would start.

Paul Z

garyc Guest

David...
    Pic here, along with a little info.

http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php...-vacuum-setup/

David,
    I used MSC Part #63148167 for my gauges. I had originally bought the Summit Racing automotive gauges and 3 out of the 6 I had ordered had incorrect readings. That's probably not always true but that was my experience. Here's some pics of my setup:
    P3020014.jpg

P3080016.jpg

P3080017.jpg

Default so cool

Don't know how one could improve on Paul's setup...

Better just send David B. out the cut file for a few bucks or even lots of bucks....
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Here's the .dwg file for you guys to use if you want.

PRT Vacuum Switch Board.dwg

Thanks for all the responses. The new manifold is up and running great. I have the gauges and will get tubing and fittings this week.
    David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com