Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable or Colombo

jay_mack1@hotmail.com Guest

Default Porter Cable or Colombo

To all,

I've been spending months going back and forth on this and I want to hear other opinions on the Porter Cable and Colombo. I'd like your advantages and disadvantages on the following:

Bit changes? How do you accomplish multiple changes? (I own a PC)

Price? Is the Colombo worth the money?

Durablity?

Has any gone from PC to Colombo or vise versa?

How does the Colombo operate? Shopbot software control or manual?

These are just a few of the questions. Thanks Guys and Gals!

The difference is the Columbo has MUCH tighter bearing tolerances, ceramic bearings that last much much longer ( Columbo claims I should send it in for inspection between 2,000 if I abuse it and 5,000 hours if I use warm up and cool down periods as they reccomend ), runs quieter and has considerably more cutting power and rpm control. Unless you order it with a quick change collet (an expensive option) you'll change bits with a pair of wrenches. The RPM is controlled by a frequency box and you can run from something like 3,000 to 21,000 rpm on my model. If one project requires multiple bit changes you write a seperate toolpath for each bit. If you're looking at production work there is no comparison. The spindle is the best choice. We've been running ours 18 hours a day for months.

Eric

bjwat@comcast.net Guest

You said it Eric! I love my Colombo. In fact, I was just given a job by another botter (wasn't that nice of him??!!) because his PC couldn't machine Hard Maple like the Colombo could.

If you tell a 5HP Colombo to go through material at 12,000 RPM...it will go through it at 12,000 RPM...It doesn't bog down where the PC does.

I bought it mainly for the superior bearings and higher duty than a regular PC. I also bought it with the idea that it will pay for itself one day as my business grows...It made me money last week.

Yep...seems like a lot of bread when you think about getting it...BUT when the box shows up you'll see that it is a serious piece of machinery. I swear I drooled all over it while I was waiting for the SB to arrive! LOL!

The Colombo requires 3-Phase power. You can get away with a 1 to 3 phase rotary convertor for around $500....may be cheaper if you shop it. It is controled by a frequency invertor that lets you dial in the RPM to the single digits. I recommend getting an extension harness for the keypad so that you can mount it remotely like I did...Pics of revised setup to be posted today...

Hope that helps,
    Brady

jay_mack1@hotmail.com Guest

Here is another question...

There is only one motor on the Y carriage, correct? Can you add a second to compensate for the heavier Colombo. And what does it cost?

Artisan, Industrial Art Company, Little River SC

Not to throw cold water on Brady and Eric.... cause I WISH I had a Colombo Spindle....there are simply other things I want more. I think it comes down to what you plan to cut with your spindle. With the Colombo roughly ten times the price of the 3.25 PC.... there are other considerations at hand. If money is no object....get the Colombo. I agree it is superior to the Routers available....Of Course ! BUT....A PC, paired with Artcam Insignia....which is about the same money.... would be far, far more versatile than the Colombo with Vector or Partwizard for MOST applications. Now, if you plan to cut Ash or Oak or Hard Maple ALL THE TIME....then you'd be wise to invest in the Colombo...even though the PC is an absolute Horse and will do 90% of the same thing. But if you are looking for the most versatility and bang for your buck....there are other ways to go. Good design software will make you money much faster than a spindle.....D

bjwat@comcast.net Guest

Stickman...The single Y motor is fine with the Colombo.

Darrell...True about priorities. I have a soft spot for fine Italian machinery

-Brady

I agree with the need to match the tool to the job. But we need a tool to work a minimum of 40 hrs a week. We also paired it up with Artcam. Our machine cuts 3/4 plywod sheets by the thousands and solid wood up to 2" with multiple passes. We were told by several experienced people that the PC probably would have a lifespan of 6 months doing this kind of work. Another thing is a big vacuum for the vacuum table. We are currently using a 15 hp FPZ but what I'd really like is a 25 hp Becker or it's ilk. One thing to remember if you switch to the spindle is to talk to shopbot about your Z-axis springs, you will need heavier ones. Yes you can save money for lighter applications but you can also hamstring your growth potential into unexpected markets. We are very glad we bit the bullet and spent the money! It's paid off in spades....

Eric

Artisan, Industrial Art Company, Little River SC

Artcam Pro, plus dual z's (one Colombo spindle, one Kess spindle) on a 5 x 12 table, with a Huge vacuum system.....and the Shopbot Swedish Bikini Team to install and maintain it. I gotta go sell some stuff....later....D

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com Guest

Eric,

Do you recall how much the quick change system ran?

I started thinking about a Columbo last week when the brushes gave out on our PC at 5:00 PM with much work left to be done. I keep a spare set now.

Darrell --- I have not heard of Kess spindles, can you provide web page(s) where one could get more information - maybe an online catalog?