Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sb3.8

Default Sb3.8

Do you need a new card to access all the new yummy features? Buddy is 15 months old.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

garyc Guest

Bob...
    In your case, no. Those with the older cards that connected with serial to USB converters, yes. If in doubt, look at the ShopBot controller card. It plugs into the mainboard in the control box. Those that will run the new software have a number printed on it. That number must be "V201" or higher (up to V209 at present)

Sorry for being a dork Gary! Looked at the pic on the website and it looks like you look at it front on as you open the box. Now know its hidden behind the main board.

Installed easily and loved the have to tick off check list - brilliant for those with short term memory! Cut files straight off BUT I'm darned if I can run speed test anymore. Done this dozens of times before but it cant find the tool. Looked in the USBVIEW and it says on 3 and 4 on enhanced USB2. Turning off SB3 by clicking the X on the top right before trying to locate. What are I doing wrong please. You guys are very brave doing an update on a friday as you could get lots of weekend requests!

Could I thank Shopbot for all the work done on the update - sincerely appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Eustace; 03-01-2013 at 03:39 AM.
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Default Controller cards and SB 3.8

Gary

What are the advantages of upgrading to 2.09 and what is the cost please. Do you have to remove the main card to plug in a new controller? I take it that this extra buffer memory has been on the cards for a while but the software couldnt access it. When you say the speed has doubled does this refer to comms? Do you anticipate 3.8 will end most comms problems?

Thanks for all your help.
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I have the RBK control box so I am assuming I can run this new software. My question is, I do not have partworks or any of the software that is listed. (I am running on preview mode on my computer in my office to learn it and to see if I like it) I cannot use the other options that I can tell because I cannot get to the cut mode. Will partworks and things always come up when I run it in cut mode? I have the vectric products directly from vectric not through shopbot.

Bob

will this new software work on xp? having the same problem also as bob not getting to the shopbot control console

garyc Guest

Bob E....
    The speed test does not work with the 3.8 versions due to a firmware change on the controller card. But, using the Utilities Diagnostics command [U][D] you can get similar information. There is a screen printout of many useful tidbits of information. Similar to the speed test is Packet ET. Anything under 20 milliseconds should result is good comm rate. One caveat... you must make a move command (mx, some distance over 4 inches or so) prior to opening [U][D] so that the software has something to develop a sampling speed from.

I do see on your posted pic that it appears that the SB spindle speed controller is plugged into the same hub as the SB controller. This has been problematic on some machines in the past. The SB controller cable should be plugged into a USB 2.0 hub, which in turn is plugged into one of the root ports on the rear of the PC. No other devices should be plugged into that hub. The speed controller should also be plugged into one of the root hubs at the rear of the machine.

I am attaching a doc for clarification.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Gary

Using a Sony Vao laptop with only 3 ports. Need one for mouse, one for hub and one for files from design computer. Will get another hub and plonk the spindle in with the mouse. I did do speed tests though with the spindle in its own port and there was no difference on the old SB3. Old speed was always 78.

Pics are your diagnostic suggestions. Outside your tolerance at 22.7 milliseconds. Is this a disaster?????? Running Vistra and only used to drive Shopbot?????
    Test voltage came in at 4.822 and very steady. Is this OK??????

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Eustace; 03-02-2013 at 04:38 AM.
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

garyc Guest

Bob...
    My answers:
    Put the Hub in one port, the speed controller in another and your mouse in the third. Plug your transfer drive into the hub to transfer a file to your laptop drive, then remove it. Some computers require SB3 to be off or in preview mode so that there is not a USB comm break when thumb drive is removed or inserted.

Even tho comm rate will not show a difference when idle, the spindle requires data updates in 2 directions, when on the same hub with the controllers, some computers do not handle this as well as others.

I dont think that the packet et draws a line as defined as the old Speed Test did, so not disastrous, but good systems return numbers in the mid teens.

Your below 5 volt readings cause me concern as there is a threshold, 4.7 volts, I think, that will cause the controller card to time out due to low USB voltage. This could be problematic if that threshold is crossed during cutting.

The following are the reasons that I (personally) would not use a laptop for a control computer: Please understand that my income depended on a reliable working system most every day.

Not enough USB ports especially "root" ports
    Power supplies that are too weak (low voltage)
    Keyboards that get clogged
    Non grounded chassis
    They are made for occasional, not continuous use
    They have power saving features built in to save the battery by shutting down or reducing power to screens, hard drives, etc.

I will not get into all the things that I do not like about Vista.

Mark...
    Yes, very well. IMHO Win XP is my favorite, most reliable OS to date for SB control.

Bob R...
    The 3.8 versions will work fine on your RBK. I cannot answer your other questions, as I dont put software other than SB3... Adobe reader and the SB LInk on a control computer.

Gary
    My control computer is an older Windows XP machine with nothing but Sb software. Can I use a thumb drive to transfer the new software from my design computer without putting my control computer back on the network?
    Thanks