Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skeptch up to dxf

Default skeptch up to dxf

I am trying to convert a skp file to dxf so I can tool path it in vcarve. I used a plug in that was recommended on the forum and I can get the whole 3D model to import but I am having trouble breaking the individual components up for toolpathing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Todd

Are you exporting the 2D view or the 3D view? You can only work with 2D DXF's in VCarve.

Not exactly sure what you mean by breaking up the individual components up as they should be that way already but to break vectors up in VCarve you need to go into node edit mode and use the context menu in that mode to operate on the nodes within the vector.

I am trying to build an outdoor bench. By components I mean the individual pieces that will get cut i.e. the legs, arms, slats, ect. I am unclear how to bring the componets in 2D in a DXF file into Vcarve.

Thanks

The usual way would be to break them out in Sketchup then export a plan view.

Todd, I have limited experience with Sketchup and Aspire/V-Carve, but I make sure my Sketchup model is in straight on perspective (Camera), then I make sure my "View" options are showing on the menu bar. As Adrian says, use your pointer (black arrow) and hi-lite your feature and use the "Move" tool to pull the component away from the rest of the drawing so that is all you see in the drawing screen. The DXF converter likes to look from the top down to do you any good, so, if it is the Plan or Top View (little house roof) and you see what you want, then that will work for you. But, If what you want is vertical in your Sketchup drawing and you want a Plan View, then you must use the "Rotate" tool and lay the vertical component on it's side so that when you use the Top View you will now see the up and down piece in it's Plan View. I hope my feeble explanation helps. You probably have been exporting your components into V-Carve But they don't show up because from the top all the DXF converter sees is the top edge of the side or front piece, etc. This does work for me, but I can fumble around with the software better than I can explain it....joe

See http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16892

I posted a solution (Post#16) if you are using Sketchup Pro

You are going to need another plugin called flatten it takes groups or componets and flatten them to the 0,0 plane then you can use your *.dxf export in line format. I believe I found this plugin at Sketchucation.com
    Last edited by russ; 03-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks for all your help. Its working just not as smooth as I imagined. That's what I get with free software.

Thanks
    Todd

i usually design stuff in partsworks then bring it in to google sketch up i only go from sketchup to partworks when its a 3d part
    "Broke college kid making Chainmail"

Todd,
    Try editing parts (eg: a curved table leg) in any automated cad/cam system vs. Sketchup. Without dropping thousands and/or signing up for a never ending monthly program rent bill of $150+, it is agonizingly slow and complicated -virtually impossible with some. I think you'll find yourself quite pleased with the trade off of a bit of cumbersome routine at the end of your sketching. I was in your shoes a year ago, and now it's a reasonably smooth routine.

Note: I do furniture and cabinetry, so I need that flexibility. At this time, I rarely spend more than $150 in billable hours in flattening and converting to vectors. Last month was an exception, as I did an entire kitchen. If you'd like, send me a PM and I can email screen shots of how I nest the parts in preparation for dxf exporting. I even selected optimal grain patterns in the sheet goods, plot the centers in sketchup, and lay those door panels right in the sweet spot. Thought I'd loose that ability to "hand pick" and center grain patterns using a CNC, but with the help of Sketchup, it now is easier and faster. Once you develop a step by step methodology, it's really not that bad.
    You are simply converting more energy to your brain vs. back muscles.

Thanks again to Randy D, as I'm sure he's the one that clued me into that methodology when I was struggling last year.

jeff