Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bread Box for my wife

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    Bill,
    I'd like to hear more about the finish. Where did you get it, how many coats etc.

-B
    You can get it from rockler.com or woodcraft.

This is only the second project I've used it on but really love the silky finish. For the bread box, I put on 3 thin coats. The Varnish Oil is like honey in the can so I thinned it down some using the Danish Oil (2:1). It is important that the shop be around 70 degrees when the piece dries or, like I did, I brought it in the house to dry for 24 hrs. between coats.

When you apply a coat, let it sit for an hour and then, using a soft cloth, wipe off any excess finish. After the first coat, I used #0000 steel wool on the bread box but applied the second and third coats directly after drying.

T&T Varnish Oil is the preferred finish for Christian Becksvoort - a well-known shaker-style furniture maker.

Their web site is http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/.

One other thing I like about applying the finish is that it is solvent-free and you can literally apply it without worrying about wearing gloves. And, it is food-safe.

Bill

Thanks Bill - finishing is my least favorite part of the operation...so anything that makes the task less painful is of interest

I like the fact that it is food-safe. I have used the Watco stuff in the past with decent results.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com