Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Z?

Default Increasing Z?

I'm curious if there are any ways to squeeze a bit more Z height out of this machine? I understand that the table is removeable, so I could replace it with an MDF table/spoilboard which would help me maximize the height. I've heard that with some of the other Shopbots the router or router mount can be moved upwards somewhat. I haven't seen the machine in person, so I'm not sure of the possibilities.

Andrew...

Do you know which model we're talking about?

SG

I'm wondering about the Desktop specifically.

Andrew...
    Hopefully someone with better knowledge of the desktop will chime in here. I was able to squeeze a bit more Z from my PRT Alpha...

SG

I just looked at mine, and you may be able to get another 1/8 inch if you slide it up a bit. I've started using stub length end mills to gain a little more Z and using jigs that bolt directly to the aluminum bed rather than having a spoil board.
    Max Girouard
    Girouard Mandolins
    www.girouardmandolins.com

Default Removing t-slot and using jigs

Max, just got Desktop, and primarily working on 1.75" hard maple. had considered removing t-slot entirely ala Brady's suggestion. Do you have any pictures of your jigs to stimulate these tired brain cells? Any help welcome. Pretty much setting up for production runs of a single item. Trying to make it easy and foolproof. A machinist who is helping our project has never worked on a machine this small, but he "thinks" in aluminum. scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

How much Z are you looking for? Are you running a spindle or a router?

Ed

Enough to surface and profile cut 8/4 walnut and maple with .5" safe Z. Scott
    scott P.
    Maine

oops, desktop with spindle- upper Z prox switch.
    scott P.
    Maine

To get greater tool clearance without removing the t-slot table, I re-mounted the spindle with the collet nut even with the bottom edge of the Z-axis back plate. This gave me enough clearance to machine a 3 layer laminate of MDF superlight 2.2" thick for a client's project. The block was registered and clamped to a 15mm (0.6") thick plywood jig mounted on the t-slot table. After surfacing to 2", the internal full depth holes were opened up with a 1/2" diameter 2.25" CEL 3 degree end mill. The safe Z was set to 0.125"

This change does limit the Z axis travel to the t-slot table surface but is no loss as I always use a 3/4" spoilboard on the DT.

Ed