I've been using my HSD 2.2 HP spindle for a little over a year and a half, and I suppose I push it pretty hard compared to some. I've probably cut around 1,000 sheets of material, mostly melamine, some plywood and MDF, plus hours of solid wood machining. I may have even banged into a few things over that time but would rather not get into specifics.

Lately I noticed a slight change to the sound produced when the spindle was first turned on. Once warmed up it sounded and cut fine and was still producing more than acceptable cuts. But I've always wondered in the back of my mind how many sheets can I expect to get from this small spindle?

So I was going away for 2 weeks and figured it would be a perfect time to send the spindle in for a bearing replacement/preventive maintenance. Not being able to locate any kind of US based service for HSD I sent it to Precision Drive Systems in North Carolina. They sell and service Columbo spindles but their web site advertises servicing all makes and models and a phone call verified they would work on my unit.

Apparently they had a very hard time getting the case open - they spent several days alternating between the freezer and the oven (?!?) to get the locking ring/retaining ring/some similar gizmo to come off. Then they sent me a quote for $700 to replace the bearings, which I approved.

Finally heard back from them this morning and he tells me the spindle is "dead". They've put two sets of bearings in and can't get it to run without overheating! I told him I was a little shocked since the spindle was working just fine when I sent it to him for preventative maintenance.

He (the manager) seemed a little surprised to hear that it was working when it arrived (the paperwork clearly stated "bearing replacement/preventative maintenance"). He said he'd tell the tech's to give it one more try to get it working and get back to me tomorrow.

So if you're still with me, do they owe me a working spindle? Had I basically used that one up? Is it normal to have so much trouble dismantling or servicing a spindle? I thought I was doing the right thing by sending it out before it self-destructed. I know nothing lasts forever but I thought replacing the bearings would put it back like new.

I'm keeping an open mind since he still has to get back to me but just wondering what people's thoughts are. Meanwhile it looks like I'll be putting the old PC back on the machine to get a few parts cut this weekend until this gets sorted out.