Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spindle wear & tear

David, How is that spindle working out?

Still cutting away, thanks for asking.

Ended up cutting almost 700 sheets last year, so I guess it's cut around 350 sheets plus hours of solid wood machining.

I'm thinking of adding the new Z-axis to my machine, using it for the spindle, and replacing my airdrill (which also is ready for some preventative maintenance) with my existing Z-axis and a Porter-cable router. That way I'll have a built-in backup for when the spindle finally gives up.

Default Best spindle brand

I too have noticed the change in sound on my HSD spindle. I suspect the top bearing, but when contacting HSD, they said there is nothing to do but use until it goes bad.

Its a long story, but we are replacing our table and spindle with a new one. With that, I am curious as to if anyone in this thread has any suggestions as to which is the best spindle or spindle brand to go with our PRS Alpha 48x48 table. From what I have read, it seems like the Colombo spindle is serviceable if the bearings need replacement.

Any advice?

I know this is a very old thread, but it came up when I was searching around for a solution to my spindle problems and I thought I'd share my experience:

My spindle started making odd noises recently. I checked it with a dial indicator and I discovered this:

https://goo.gl/photos/RHQwE43Hir3f1H6e8

I called around and got a bunch of quotes for spindle repair, all were $1200 to $1400. A new spindle from ShopBot is $1700. I went for the new one as I don't want to have to send out my spindle or deal with a rebuilt unit. This original spindle has lasted for nearly 10 years so it's likely that this one will as well.

thats about how long mine lasted. it started squeeling when it started up and I was sweating till I got the new one one had a bunch of emergency jobs to do.

I'm in a lull right now so I'll be in good shape. Luckily for me ShopBot had a few in stock still. Should be a 15 minute swap out and I'll be back to 100% again.