Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.8.0???

Default 3.8.0???

Anyone heard any updates on the 3.8.02 problems? We just had it crash the spindle into the table by just hitting the spacebar. We have had the slow downs but had found that just hitting the space bar and then restarting every thing worked OK. But then this, 20hrs. of work gone and about 450.00 in purple heart shot to poop. The thing is it was runnung the same program that had been running on our machine for 3 years. We make this cut just about every day! The machine has the v207 card and has been running great untill this update. I guess we will call Monday and find out how to revert back to the old software?

You can go back to your old version I just uninstall the sb3.8.02 and reinstall 3,6.xx update the firmware and you are back in business.

I upgraded too but found it would just stop in the middle of files,
    . no error codes or anything. the spindle would stop as well. It would stop on exactly the same line when I would rerun the file. just reinstalled the old and all runs good again. I do like the new one...just wished it would work for me

If you do a recent search you will find more negative responses to the new control software then positive. Until that sediment reverses or someone can convince me otherwise, I'm sticking to the stable Ver3.6.44!
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

I think Shopbot has a long way to go before releasing 3.8. It is not ready for a shop where people use the CNC to make a living. To unreliable.

I will stick with 3.6 for quite awhile since I can't afford down time debugging and trying to figure out why something that is supposed to be production ready software is not working.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I've been using SB 3.8 for a few weeks with no issues so far.
    We'll what happens.
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

How can there be so many varying positive and negative experiences?

I think a lot depends on how you use it.

In my experience if you run files created purely with PartWork/Aspire and you manage to avoid certain combinations of speed settings (I run a metric PP with all my speeds in IPS so they're rarely whole numbers) it all works perfectly ok.

I never pause files, change the speed on the fly or anything like that. In fact I could pretty easily use the Easy interface and nothing else if it wasn't for a couple of my jig routines.

There are definitely are some nasties in there but I can see how a lot of people never see them hence the conflicting reports.

Quote Originally Posted by rb99 View Post
    How can there be so many varying positive and negative experiences?
    If you ever developed a computer program for Windows, you wouldn't need to ask that. Windows has so many variations that it's nearly impossible to not have bugs and crashes. Add into that the different hardware and bios configurations for attached devices (like the SB) and it will drive you insane.

One particularly thorny issue are cables. A USB cable can be the cause of a huge number of problems. It would seem like this is an unlikely source of errors but it is a major cause. I would recommend to anyone having spurious errors to change their USB cable. With the ShopBot, that's a bit difficult but it can solve a huge number of reoccurring crashes.

ShopBot should make the USB cable user maintainable so it can simply be changed.

I think it's just there are so many different systems and configurations. Two local friends and myself are all running 3.6.44 and we have differences including the hick-ups/blurps etc. We are sticking w/3.6.44 so we don't spend the time trying to decipher if it was our fault or a new version issue....
    ......probably our fault.

Along with that .... if we have a issue with the new 3.8.02, report it as a "problem" and it turns out to be another opps on our part, then all of those guys working hard on the new version would have to take time out to come all the way down here to Florida to beat the **** outta the three of us! So we'll stay with the time saving thing.