Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3.8.0???

Thinking this through, surely the answer is for Shopbot to build a bullet proof computer into the control box. In one fool sweep you then eliminate the horrible variables thrown up by Windows and ELIMINATE the USB cable possible source of error introduction. Just plonk your USB stick into a port on the box and away you go. It seems to be that all the heavy industrial CNC machines do it this way. Laguna is sort of going that way by plugging into the pendant BUT they still have that hooked up with a cable. Food for thought perhaps and I reckon it must be do-able because I know we would pay more for a no comms problem solution.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

I've said it before and will say it again... I threw away massive machinery because the proprietary controller was no longer supported by the manufacture. In the world of heavy iron machinery, 25 years old is young!!! I'm willing to put up with occasional glitches that can usually be tracked down to users not taking the time to be sure everything is up to snuff (I'm talking to myself here). Now think of this from the manufacturers point of view... The discrete components used 20... even 5 years ago are no longer manufactured. To support a proprietary controller would mean redesigning every controller ever made every few years to be made with current components.

Thank you ShopBot for making our tools PC controlled... a format likely to be around awhile.

SG

Mmmmm......maybe we need to make Shopbot 'Apple' compatible.....
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Default 3.8.02

Our big question is should you remove it from the downloads when problems have been found. Then put up a link how to revert back since their was a firmware update, and not all would know how to get back to the older version and get their machine back to production. I understand beta testing and when it goes well doing a release version, but when the release ends up with bugs should we not pull it down so no one does major damage to their machine? Or at least untill the major bugs are fixed. I went back to 3.6.38? and all seems to be OK, I was just looking for the 3d help that 3.8.02 has to offer.

For all of those like me.........
    Have faith.

Started with the big iron CNCs that would only accepted the paper/mylar TTY tape up through the $1M+ systems of mid 2000’s. These were all full “turnkey” systems that still kept me more than busy with troubleshooting and repair.

Purchased my SB in late 2007, soon thereafter becoming scared and weak in the knees wondering what in God’s name have I gotten my self into. My ShopBot is NOT “turnkey”, it’s NEWER than most and the SB crew are making improvements all the time. I pondered SB’s need to write the software to support all of their iterations. Then it really hit me, SB software has to run on a variety of Windows’ PCs!! XP, XP Pro, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and let’s not forget good ol’ Windows Updates! The light at the end of the tunnel was indeed the oncoming freight train!

It’s now 2013 and I believe I could have not made a better choice. There are other brands in my area, higher/lower dollar and I’ll stick with ShopBot in bang for the buck! There are bugs to be fixed along with improvements to be made that I’m confident will be addressed as quickly as possible.

Have faith.

Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    For all of those like me.........
    Have faith....
    Yes...have faith. Keep in mind a few things. 3.8.x is a completely new 'clean sheet' design of SB3. Like any new piece of software, there is bound to be a few teething problems to contend with that were missed during the beta testing phase.

There are a few issues, mainly with pre-2007 tools that use USB to Serial conversion on an older computer. The issue is mainly with the USB drivers not loading or not loading correctly. The other main issue is when the computer used to drive the tool has insufficient memory or processor speed to properly run 3.8.x efficiently. The indications of this is that the tool suddenly runs part files slowly - this is 3.8 trying to keep good communication between the PC and the control box because the computer processor is sub-par or the computer is not running adequate USB hardware (like no 2.0 USB port etc).

I just spoke to SB and they informed me that there will be a maintenance release in the next few days to address these issues. In the meantime, if you are having problems, PLEASE do us ALL a favor and email ShopBot Support ( support@shopbottools.com) , and describe the issues you are having. Please include your computer specs, OS, USB hardware and what model tool you are running (including drive system type and what motors you are running) - as this would go far to nip these little problems in the bud.

Finally, if you are running a pre-2007 tool, consider upgrading your processor to v209. It is a direct USB connection, with no USB hub etc to contend with and offers some additional capabilities. I just got mine on Friday...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Just a note, I have a 1996 prt that I converted to the RBK controller and 7.2 motors. I have been running the SB#.8 for a few weeks with little problem. If there was a problem, it is usually me. I am running windows xp and will not change this, since this is the best windows I have run. Of no concern to this issue, I just replaced the rails with shopbot harderned rails and its running great.

Bob

you know they did not make you up date. Like me I took the update. so I kill two cheap sheet of ply to practice on. After three day I was ready to trun back. Then I found the error. they were mine. I still have a fews quirks but I will work them out and that will help me better understand my bot. A PRSalpha. Like i said no one made me upgrade I could of waited.

My Buddy is a hobby machine and is used a couple times a month. Last weekend, son, Todd and I updated my computer, Aspire, and the SB to the latest versions. We then went to do a lake relief map 12" x 24". It ran 1000 lines or so and stopped. We shut everything down, went back to Aspire and recalculated all tool paths. Started thing up and everything ran correctly. What a joy.

Shouldn't have needed to recalculate the toolpaths in Aspire unless you changed a setting. You could have re-ran the orginal SBP file.