Thread: Another Post Processor question

Default Another Post Processor question

I have always used the Shopbot (arcs)(inch)(*.sbp) post processor. Does anyone use the Shopbot (inch)(*.sbp) post processor? If so why? What are the bennefits? Are the times one is more appropriate?

Thanks in advance,
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

If you cut a circle (or any shape that uses arcs) the code will be generated as a series of small straight line moves rather than a smooth arc command if you use the non-arc post processor.

Obviously not something you're going to want to do so I'd stick with the Arcs one. I can't think of any reason to use a non-arcs post processor.

The latest Post Processors are always included with the latest control software download in the c:\sbparts\partworksposts folder.
    Last edited by adrianm; 03-23-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Since any CAM on the market is an 'offering' - meaning that it will mostly do what you want, but not always - The regular Inch post is much easier to read, than the Arcs post that uses 'G-code' circles and arcs with I & J parameters.

So, if you wanted to use CAM to get you close, and then add some additional code yourself to program moves that CAM can't do, the Inch post is a bit easier on the eyes than the Arcs one.

Also, many of the Tools in SB3 will only manipulate code generated with a regular Inch post, and will not work with code generated with an Arcs post, so it's a good thing to keep in your back pocket, so to speak.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks everyone. That is as they say a wrap.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley