Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Android app available now to control ShopBot

Default Android app available now to control ShopBot

Hi Folks,

Please pardon my blatant self-promotion. From reading the forums I know some of you have wanted an Androd-based program to control the ShopBot.

As a professional programmer I decided to take up the challenge so that I can control my ShopBot Desktop with my Nexus 7 and hopefully produce something useful for you.

Like other apps of this sort it requires a separate server process to be installed on the computer to which the ShopBot is connected so that the mobile device can commmunicate with the ShopBot 3 control software. It also requires a wireless connection to allow the device to see your network. Once you register your device with the server process you can control your ShopBot happily from a distance.

I've tested it with both 3.6.x and 3.8.x version of ShopBot 3 without a problem.

If you have any problems please let me know. Although I've developed software for decades, things that run on mobile devices pose additional challenges. With your help I'd like to make this more than just a handy tool. So if there are additional features you would like to see please let me know.

You can find out more about it and download the server process here:
    http://www.coogara.com/shopbot.aspx

The Android app is here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ting.ShopBotIC

A free limited Android version is here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....ShopBotICFree

A version for Apple devices has been submitted to them. Apple take about two weeks to approve apps for their stores whereas the Android folk release them immeditately.

Drop me a line if you have any problems setting up. On my site go to the Contact page and drop me a line. I'll get things fixed as quickly as I can.

Cheers

Graeme
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Coogara; 03-28-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added link to free version

What is the server process written in? What exactly does it do?

Interesting idea. You could use GCM to send messages back to the app if a problem arrises during a job to alert the operator.

Hi John,

The server process is written in Delphi - effectively Pascal if you're familiar with it. The code on the Android and Apple device is written in HTML5. The Android/Apple sends the chosen intruction to the server process according to the pressed button, such as move the gantry in positive X. The server process then clicks the mouse down on the ShopBot 3 keypad window as if you were doing it yourself, or sends the codes to perform C2, C3 and so on.

There are all kinds of things you can do with this sort of application and it's pretty easy to extend and add new features. I've been involved with software automation, web sites, desktop software and so on for years.

GCM would be an interesting approach to monitoring and alerting. It would be a case of being able to correctly access and interpret the information presented in SB3.

Cheers

Graeme

Did you use one of the frameworks like PhoneGap or roll your own?

I used Embarcadero's HTML5 Builder, which uses PhoneGap. So I've used the same code for both the Android and Apple versions.

As it happens, I'm the author of the only book on HTML5 Builder. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not.

You seem to have some knowledge about this stuff as well.
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

I'm an Android developer. My main property is called RadarNow! which is a weather radar for the US. Wouldn't be much use to you down in Australia.

John, you have a very well rated app there. Very nice.
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

Graeme, thanks!

Hi Graeme,

I like the idea, but the permissions required to run it are way too lenient. I have a problem with apps that require permissions to my precise location, modify and read contacts, e-mail and phone calls, receive and modify text messages - even my camera to take pictures or video without notification!

While I may be confidant that you aren't abusing the permissions, the ones you require are kind of a red flag to me for apps that do...
    Ron Sloan

Ron,

The framework he's using to create the app is a very general purpose one, so it includes every possible permission. Most likely, if a permission isn't used, it can be dropped from the manifest. It may be that Graeme hasn't done that yet.

I'm with you on apps that require scary stuff. I was looking for some games that my daughter would like and some of their permissions, for apps that didn't do doodly squat were excessive. My only conclusion is that they have some sort of massive ad issues or are a scam.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool