Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Android app available now to control ShopBot

I'm patiently waiting for someone that knows what they're doing to try the app. Sounds like something many of us could use.
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ssflyer View Post
    Hi Graeme,

I like the idea, but the permissions required to run it are way too lenient. I have a problem with apps that require permissions to my precise location, modify and read contacts, e-mail and phone calls, receive and modify text messages - even my camera to take pictures or video without notification!

While I may be confidant that you aren't abusing the permissions, the ones you require are kind of a red flag to me for apps that do...
    Hi Ron,

I was so focused on ensuring that there was maximum device compatibility that I neglected to pay attention to the permissions. I will get a new version out this morning (Australian time) and let you know when it is up. Thanks for the comment.

Cheers

Graeme
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

A new version is now available with siginificantly reduced permissions requirements.

According to Google Play, the app supports 2637 devices. If you are running Android 2+ you should be able to run this.

Remember, you need to install the server process to use the app:
    http://www.coogara.com/shopbot.aspx

Graeme
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

big question for me, is the app directly controling the machine or is it controling the SB3 software that is running on my pc?
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by twelchPTM View Post
    big question for me, is the app directly controling the machine or is it controling the SB3 software that is running on my pc?
    Hi Thomas,

My app is interacting with your ShopBot 3.6.x or 3.8.x software. Your SB3 software needs to be running and have focus. When you click the Keypad button on the Android app, this sends the "K" keystroke to SB3 to open the keypad. When you press the arrow keys on the app, a mouse-down signal is sent to the SB3 interface. When you release an arrow key, a mouse-up signal is sent. Everything is done using SB3. At no time does it attempt to talk directly to the ShopBot.

When doing things that require the keypad, it checks whether the keypad is open. If not then it does nothing. However, if you perform a C2, C3, Z2 or ZZ or "go home" and the keypad is open, it will close the keypad automatically and perform the requested task.

I'm open to suggestions and feedback on how things like this work and will look at the practicality of incoporating a consensus of ideas into a new version.

Cheers

Graeme
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

Hi Graeme, Thanks for your fantastic app. I had it downloaded and working in less than 2 minutes. Will give it a test in the shed tomorrow but was able to run it in preview mode and it seemed to work. Any plans to incorporate any more shortcut buttons at the bottom? Like a C5 or maybe allow us to create custom shortcuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Hi Graeme, Thanks for your fantastic app. I had it downloaded and working in less than 2 minutes. Will give it a test in the shed tomorrow but was able to run it in preview mode and it seemed to work. Any plans to incorporate any more shortcut buttons at the bottom? Like a C5 or maybe allow us to create custom shortcuts?

Thanks, Shane,

I look forward to hearing the results of your test today. If you have any problems, I expect to hear from you.

I don't have immediate plans to add more buttons. I wanted to hear the response of users. I do, however, have plans to allow the user to define buttons themselves for two-character commands for which there are no parameters required.

Cheers

Graeme
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the fast response re: permisions. I'm going to give 'er a test run this afternoon, and will post the results!

Thanks again!
    Ron Sloan

Quote Originally Posted by ssflyer View Post
    Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the fast response re: permisions. I'm going to give 'er a test run this afternoon, and will post the results!

Thanks again!
    Hi Ron,

Thanks - I'm sure the other guys on the forum will appreciate your perspective.

I want to ensure that it is easy to install and set up, and that the instructions make sense. If there is anything that you feel requires clarification please let me know.

Cheers

Graeme
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

I got a chance to test it out today and had mixed results. When jogging or moving the machine using the app, there tended to be a lag between pressing the screen on my phone to when the shopbot responded.

Moving in short bursts seemed to be okay but I had issues where a couple of times the machine keep on moving even after not touching the screen. I'll assume this was caused by lag/delay and I had to hit the emergency stop button otherwise the shopbot was going to try and force the bit straight down through my spoilboard.

In saying that, I did find the shortcut buttons did work. But overall it felt frustrating when commanding the shopbot and due to random lag either nothing worked or it would catch up the lag and issue all the commands at once.

After using it for a couple of minutes I went back to using the laptop to control the shopbot as I can't risk the chance of the shopbot jogging/moving and damaging the bit due to lag.

Shane.