Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Android app available now to control ShopBot

That's disappointing, Shane,

I would not have released it if I did not have good results myself. I found it to be consistently extremely responsive and in a timely manner.

I was connected directly to my internal wireless network. I don't know whether it was going through your 3G connection. Any chance of that? I'm struggling to account for the delay otherwise.

Shane, if you would care to contact me through my email (csc @ coogara dot com) and provide me with your PayPal address, I will refund your purchase price.

Thanks

Graeme
    Desktop, 1HP spindle, Z-upgrade
    Aspire 8.0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Australian software developer and trainer - Delphi, C#
    Mobile development

Default Free version coming

In a few hours I will release a free/light version of the program that only supports moving the gantry. This will allow you to test whether it performs properly on your system before paying for the full version.

I'm at a loss to explain the lag that Shane experienced but will look into that further.

Cheers

Graeme
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

Hi Graeme,

I gave it a really quick try yesterday. The setup was a no brainer -good job on that. However I was running a beta version of the control software (v 3.8.1 beta 21, I believe). Interestingly, I could open the keypad and close it, but none of the arrow keys worked. I have no idea why, as the key presses should be the same.

Anyway, I downloaded the current release version (v 3.8.4) and it seemed to be working. I didn't have time for a thorough testing, so I'll post more after some time with it.

I found it to be responsive to the controls.
    Ron Sloan

Graeme,

I've found that with the iPhone/iPod one, if the wireless connection is going to a wireless router that is connected to another computer and the ShopBot computer is connected wirelessly to that router, there can be some undesirable lag time between button touches. Works best directly. Just a thought on Shane's issue.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ssflyer View Post
    Hi Graeme,

I gave it a really quick try yesterday. The setup was a no brainer -good job on that. However I was running a beta version of the control software (v 3.8.1 beta 21, I believe). Interestingly, I could open the keypad and close it, but none of the arrow keys worked. I have no idea why, as the key presses should be the same.

Anyway, I downloaded the current release version (v 3.8.4) and it seemed to be working. I didn't have time for a thorough testing, so I'll post more after some time with it.

I found it to be responsive to the controls.
    That's encouraging, Ron. Thanks for the update.
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Graeme,

I've found that with the iPhone/iPod one, if the wireless connection is going to a wireless router that is connected to another computer and the ShopBot computer is connected wirelessly to that router, there can be some undesirable lag time between button touches. Works best directly. Just a thought on Shane's issue.
    That makes sense, Scott. There must be a few variables involving hardware setup.
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

okay so i think i am going to give this a try.... but first more questions!

If my android device is conected to my network via wi-fi and my control PC is connected via cable will that work or does my device need to be directly conected to my PC? And if so will connecting via bluetooth work?
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by twelchPTM View Post
    okay so i think i am going to give this a try.... but first more questions!

If my android device is conected to my network via wi-fi and my control PC is connected via cable will that work or does my device need to be directly conected to my PC? And if so will connecting via bluetooth work?
    Provided both computers are on the same internal network then they should be able to see each other and perform well. There does not need to be a direct connection from the wireless device to the computer. I'm assuming that you have a wireless hub somewhere on your network. I'm not at all sure about the use of bluetooth.

If you want, wait for the light/free version. I'm working on it now and it should be available in a few hours. You can then confidently check that all is well.

Graeme
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

Default Free/Light version now available

The free version, with only minimal functionality, is now available from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....ShopBotICFree

This will allow you to try it out and see that you get a good response across your network on your device's wireless connection.

Graeme
    Aspire 8.0
    Mobile development

long story short, I really don't want my control PC connected our network because i can't trust the people i work with not mess up the pc. I tried establishing a connection between the two via bluetooth and here's what happened, my device is unable to create or share a "network" of any type with a PC so I can pair but not connect - if my device could share a "network" via bluetooth everything would work.
    (I can set my phone up as a hot spot and connect the PC to it in that manor and the app works)
    I found a pc remote app that uses bluetooth and if my phone could run two apps at once I could use the shopbot app in conjunction with the remote and everything would work, I think ( i know some newer devices have this feature)

Bottom line i know its easier to say "hey why don't you do this..." then it is to actually do thing but if you could incorperate the bluetooth remote server directly into the SB remote server I would be the first one in line to buy it.
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me