Thread: My first Guitar...

Default My first Guitar...

It might just work. The dark colored fret board came from stew-mac. The light colored 3 are made on the bot from walnut. They are 25.5 scale with 24 frets. I getting closer. This project ranks up there on the satisfaction scale. When I purchased bot 2 years ago, I had no idea this was in my future. The parts tray is for the local Luthier. Today I will make a 12" radius sanding block for the fretboards. Love my shopbot

0303130801.jpg

0324130700.jpg

0324130700a.jpg

0324130701.jpg

0324130837.jpg

You have got to love it when a plan comes together.... nice work.

Beautiful Jeff:

Now that you have done a flat body, are you going to go for a shaped one?

Check out Ed Roman's site, if you haven't already, for some great inspiration.

You have made progress since I was over. Looking good and thanks for the help on my mother's cabinet.

Tanks for the cookies... a good trade in my book!

@dave I was gonna try a carving on first one. I was having problems designing in aspire and was affraid i end up with 50 bucks of fire wood. I was very happy with way neck tuned out. My approach on body was to make a base 1.5 inches thick and then adding a .25 inch top with vectric pattern of some kind to decorate. And, on back side, I wanted to put a contoured top edge as the fender company does on stratocasters. I still have a lot to learn.

OOps... so sorry i did not c the organization of this forum... should have put it under a year. Not first mistake i made on this forum!!!

Wanted to show the fret board i made being glued on to the neck i made... going on the guitar i made... with the bot for my son. this is too much fun for a retired old guy. And it just might play some day.

thanks to all for your patience with my learning curve... woodworking or other

Jeff
    0325131151.jpg

0325131153a.jpg

0325131154.jpg

Jeff:

A while back a guy named Scott Green did a video series on how to design and cut a shaped guitar in Aspire.
    Here is a link to his site:

http://www.rmgvideos.com/

I don't think he ever completed the whole series but the body modeling and cutting videos are pretty good if they are still available.

At the time it was Aspire 2.5 so some things are probably a little different with the later releases but not so different.
    I Beta tested it and actually use Artcam. Sizing the body from an imported image in Artcam wasn't possible then so I used a demo Aspire to do that and it did work. The rest in laying out vectors using the extrude tools for the shapes, controls, neck insert, pickups, etc was pretty much the same. I went over the top by picking a pretty wild ED Roman style guitar and added Floyd Rose trem, etc and the model came out great. It was a fun design experience. I may even cut it someday. I got hung up waiting for the neck video, and I don't think he ever moved forward with it, but the ones he did do are very good and worth the 50 bucks if he still sells them.
    I do have them on my computer but wouldn't feel right passing them on unless he said it was OK.

Finished project... my son is very happy with it... was playing past midnight last night. I didn't have the heart to tell him to go to bed.

0329131142.jpg

0329131143.jpg

Congratulations Jeff. That is a very clean and beautiful instrument.