Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rikon stand alone indexer

Default Rikon stand alone indexer

I've been cleaning the corners of the shop and collected enough parts to do this indexer build . The Rikon lathe I had set up across the Y axis , with a timing belt set up 72 tooth gear and a 20 tooth gear for 3.6 to 1 ,If I swap out belts I can use as a lathe , for the X travel there is rack and pinion with a PK 296 3.6 , The Z axis is also rack and pinion PK 296 3.6 , the control board is a old PRT BOARD which is fast enough for the turning that I do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is clearly the work of a "Tinkerer"!
    That is really cool. What is the length of your material you can use on it?

Here's a question i had...what axis did you assign this, X or Y? I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you create your files using the same axis assignments right? Good job
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

So does it have a x y and z Travel ? if you wanted to make a corbel will it do that?

If the long axis is X it doesn't look to me like it has a Y axis, it looks likes its mounted solid but i can't see it all. Regardless it's cool...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for posting the information.

Phil

I made a block the height of center of material , to zero the Z easy

Jack I can fit 40" in the indexer , and swing 5" , I use it as the X axis , as I like to design that way.

Gene it has B , X , Z AXIS , That is a interesting thought though about the Y , Something to think about

Neat trick with the block, Bob. I hadn't thought of that one.

I wound up epoxying a piece of AL angle to the top of the tailstock and measured the distance to center. Then wrote a Custom Cut so that I can just put the Zzero plate on it & zero to that.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady ; Now that's what great about the forum , people come up with different ways of doing things ,

Gee Bob I can't imagine where you came up with that fantastic idea for a jig to measure center lol

What i like about doing it this way is that you just slap your jig up on the indexer bed do a c2 and you're done. I have even forgotten to do it before i mounted my material and you can lay your jig next to your material and c2 or even padst your headstock and measured.

What i don't like about some of these offset methods others use is that if something corrupts your settings you won't have a disaster...(maybe?)

Anyway good job, i'm real impressed with your indexer
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    What i don't like about some of these offset methods others use is that if something corrupts your settings you won't have a disaster...(maybe?)
    This is why God made Sharpie markers....Write the value down somewhere near where you zero, or just remeasure it. It ain't rocket science

What happens if you lose your magic block?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com