Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rikon stand alone indexer

Duh... I ain't never thunked about that! lol

I'm not sure i understand what you mean about "Write the value down somewhere near where you zero, or just remeasure it".

What i normally do when i'm locating something on the table is:
    do a c3
    manually move carriage to center of material on location of table
    write down those coordinates
    then Zero X, Y

So do you mean basically do the same thing only in the Z axis?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Ahh...No.

Zero on the indexer for 99% of projects is going to be a constant height - the center of the lathe/indexer. The top of my tailstock is exactly 1.504" above the center of the lathe...I write that number down on top of the ts. Worst case, I just chuck up a vbit and remeasure the distance from the top of the ts to center, and re-enter it into my Custom4.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

AAAAhh....as you can see i have not mastered the art of "snatching the pebble" yet Master Po I didn't understand what you meant...thanks
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

"What happens if you lose your magic block?" Isn't that getting just a little too personal!

I still want an indexer but for the life of me I just can;t seem to figure out why! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Since when have we EVER had to justify a reason for buying a tool?

I can give you one good reason Russ...when you make your little building for models, make a barbershop and in front of the barbershop you need a spiral barber pole!

That is as good a reason as any other i could come up with!
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

I affixed a piece of plexiglass to the top of my tailstock and trued it with the SB. I use my regular ZZero aluminum piece on top of it. I made a custom C4 file with the ZZero routine with the appropriate offset to the center of the headstock. No need for a Sharpie.

Quote Originally Posted by waynelocke View Post
    I affixed a piece of plexiglass to the top of my tailstock and trued it with the SB. I use my regular ZZero aluminum piece on top of it. I made a custom C4 file with the ZZero routine with the appropriate offset to the center of the headstock. No need for a Sharpie.
    Yep...I've done the exact same thing...Except I DO write the distance from the top of the TS to centerline on there with Sharpie, because the newer versions of SB3 WILL overwrite Custom Cuts if you happen to be asleep at the wheel while installing...So if C4 goes bye-bye, a quick glance and I know what the value is...and I can quickly make a new C4.

I remember the DOS days when Unit Values required an act of congress to get right...so I wrote them down near the bot...It saved my butt a few times those early years.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com