Thread: Tool Definition Files for Import

Default Tool Definition Files for Import

I search around both the web and this forum for importable tool definitions without success.

I can see how to create tool definitions inside of Partworks with the right information. It certainly would be nice to be able to import the tool definitions of the commonly used tools.

It seems like it would be a good marketing tool for the manufacturers to create these files so we can import them and know what tools they have available.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Do you mean form tools?

A lot of makers provide vector files for import for just that purpose.

Hi John- I hear you. I made a profile for a round over bit today per the manual
    and it wasn't too bad- seems to work fine. I have several 90° v bits that have
    a small flat on the end that give me fits... I think I will try doing a profile for
    one of them. Ain't learning grand- I have 4 hours in on a xy zero problem
    that is related to a tool profile in the database (I think). Gene

Isn't there a place where users of Vectric programs can upload and download tool definitions? It seems pretty reasonable that this should exist. I can't be the only one who would rather just import all tools for a certain manufacturer or tool type.

Am I doomed to finding the data on each tool I buy and then manually transcribe that stuff into a program using the keyboard? Seems to be a time consuming and error prone task to me.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Thing is that so much of the tool information is really only relevant to a particular machine and/or material so using someone elses data will only save you entering the tool name and diameter for non-form tools.

It's a constant question that comes up on the Vectric forum with people using the default settings that come with PartWorks/VCarve and then breaking their bits or getting poor results.

There's no substitute for creating a database that fits your machine and the way you work with the material you use.

At the end of the day you're not likely to be creating a job using the whole catalog of a maker in one go so creating the bits as and when you need them is easier.

All IMHO of course, I expect plenty of others have very different opinions!

John

You'll find yourself making multiple definitions for the same tool... one for cutting Baltic birch at 1X the tool diameter, 2x the tool diameter, one for one kind of hardwood, one for another, one for one type of plastic, one for another, one for Mesquite cutting conventional... you get the idea! These will only be what you have found works well for you and your hold down methods.

SG