Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-Slots

Default T-Slots

Does anyone use extruded aluminum T-Slots as a material hold-down system for their Bot? We currently screw the materials down. That works great, but I am getting tired of replacing my table so frequently. Besides using a vaccum, I want to find an easy way to secure my large (4' x 8') and small (1' x 1') materials.

Can anyone post a picture of thier current hold-down systems? Thank you.

Paul Hardy

Paul,

I use a 4 x 4 piece of MDO with slots cut into it. In these slots I put T-track recessed 1/16" below the surface. I made some clamps that have the shape of half a biscuit and will fit in a biscuit slot. When I create my blanks for cutting/carving, I cut #20 biscuit slots and then use the combination of T-tracks, and the 'clamps' to hold material down. The vacuum system then holds the MDO nice and flat.

Disregard the slots cut at 90 degrees to the T-tracks. I thought I would also put T-track there but decided against it. The next MDO board will only have the slots for the T-track.

Picture attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

You may want to check out this article written by Dave Buchsbaum some years ago:
    http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php...ew-friend-cam/

Lots of guys have used his cam holders and track idea.

It's worth doing a forum search on the subject as well. It comes up a lot. I remember posting pictures of my setup at least three times.

I outfitted my table with both traditional (wood) and T-slot extrusions. I have it split with a 96x48 section of wooden table with a vacuum plenum and 13.5" of clamp area using the T-Slot material. I use 4.5" x 1.5" (series 15) extruded aluminum from 80/20.

The extrusions I use are slightly smaller than SB's standard side components (6" x 1.5" vs. 4.5" x 1.5") but the same T bolts fit.

A standard 5/16" carriage bolt works great in the series 15 style extrusion.

Here's a picture of my setup:

ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Depending on your material, pin nails may be a good alternative to screws since they don't chew up the spoilboard and remove easily with pliers.

Default Slots

Everyone, thank you all for your wisdom. Some people go to Google for answers, but I have found that the best answers are found on this forum. I will let you know what we decide.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmench View Post
    Depending on your material, pin nails may be a good alternative to screws since they don't chew up the spoilboard and remove easily with pliers.

http://raptornails.com/ these work great http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8VzekKsbWdA
    Vector Studio 22

I use aluminum T track for 90% of my hold downs. I have the strips of 3/4" MDF holding down the track on the base layer of 3/4" MDF... glued and screwed from underneath.

I use the Incra brand aluminum clamps - they can hold down up to 2 1/2" thick material. I have the track spaced so I can get on the outer edge of a 48" by 48" sheet.

I still screw down custom fixtures, etc from time to time but most of the time 4 or 6 clamps does the trick.

AJC

Andrew,
    Do you have any issues with the MDF strip edges chipping during the flattening routine?